Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomzarbo
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, I have a way to go, but it's getting better. Kevin K gave me quite a few pointers. I still can't do a finish like him, but I still like to try.

• Jake
    replied
    Beautiful work Tom, always jealous of your finish work.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Thanks Tom and Anunnaki, its going slow, but at least its going.

Beautiful work Jim. Thats the plan, dump a bunch of lacquer on and cut it down to smooth. I've done it a few times before, I'll need to becareful with the curves and angles, but if I need to reshoot, that's no problem.

With no MWAF I have time.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• anunnaki
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Excellent work so far!! Bravo.

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Those are looking sweet, Tom. You sure are the king of the curves!

Leave a comment:

• jim85iroc
    commented on 's reply
    You can get great results from a rattle can as long as you lay it on thick enough to wetsand and buff it. This is Minwax Polyurethane from a can:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
    Looking good Tom!! Are you using a Nitrocellulose lacquer or an acrylic lacquer?
    Thanks sir!

I'm using... Um, Rustoleum rattle can lacquer.

I haven't stepped up to a spray setup yet, probably never will. I usually go with wipe-on poly, but this veneer isn't always poly-friendly.

But I'm going to take it as a compliment that you might have thought it looked decent enough to pass for a real spray job.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Looking good Tom!! Are you using a Nitrocellulose lacquer or an acrylic lacquer?

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Just a tiny bit of progress on these.
    No huge rush as MWAF isn't happening for 2021, but these will be my main speakers for our family room, so I would like to get them finished soon-ish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bantams Lacquered.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	1470197

Name:	Bantams Lacquered Rear.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	803.6 KB
ID:	1470198

This was a full day of dozens of thin coats of clear lacquer... and a few hours into the second day as it was a bit hot/humid on Saturday. I needed to apply a few coats on Sunday to get the shine back up, so I did a light sanding to smooth things out before putting a half dozen thin coats on the next day.

Gotta love Lacquer for quick drying, and recoating anytime. Sure is stinky, though.

Next up: Getting the side panel inserts covered with faux leather and installed.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    What do you fill the grain with?
    Nice clock!
    CrystaLac makes a grain filling product. Kevin K suggested it to me a few years ago and it really works well. Kind of looks like plain yogurt when you apply it. Dries clear and fills all the little grain openings that prevent that perfect glass smooth finish on wood.

It is a sharp clock, isn't it?

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    What do you fill the grain with?
    Nice clock!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Did a little filling here and there over the past few days and today some final sanding...

Name:	Before BLO (Medium).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1462103 Click image for larger version

Name:	Before BLO2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1462104

Applied a first coat of BLO and watched the magic happen!

Name:	BLO (Medium).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1462105 Click image for larger version

Name:	BLO2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1462106

My plan is for a super-smooth and shiny finish. These will be sealed, grain-filled, and sealed several times... then probably left for a few months until it warms up a bit. I can spray clear lacquer out in my garage, but it's got to be warm enough, and it won't be until probably March or maybe even April or so.

So I may just work out the crossovers and such before applying the final lacquer clear coats. That's not how I usually do it, but it may be necessary this time. I'd like at least a good month or so of listening to shake these down before MWAF this year.

The two larger holes at the rear are for PE's Monster Binding Post speaker terminal by the way. These were a good choice because they are far enough apart to straddle the port, which is right next to the rear of the cabinet due to packaging constraints.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Name:	20210112_063709.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	1461618 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_063638.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	1461619

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Just a bit of progress.

Name:	20210109_114446.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	1461615

Belt, disc, and spindle sanding needed to remove my less-than-perfect bandsawing skills.

Name:	20210109_114420.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1461616

1/4" roundover on the sides that show. Drilled and tapped the holes for the rubber floor bumpers... The threads do hold fine in hardwood. This makes them slightly adjustable for my wobbly tile floor.

Name:	20210109_114511.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	1461614

Now I have to get some wood filler for a few tiny boo-boos before I can start sealing these.

More to come...

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Oh, okay.

I'd know you if I saw you, but I'm so bad with names it's ridiculous, especially with screen names. Sorry, didn't mean to talk in such basic terms, you've obviously done this a few times, I didn't realize.

I'm perfectly afraid of contact cement to be honest, I'm so clutzy, and with curves, I can see me goofing that up pretty quick. I used water-based contact cement and it did loosen, but the edges are still in tact, so that's good.

I haven't actually had any of my iron-on projects fail, so as a bonding process it must be really good, and really easy. I would have had a few issues if it were critical to do it exactly as the instructions say. I think you'll like it, it has a hands-on process that seems kind of theraputic and calming. I have to get some more glue delivered soon, but it doesn't like the cold, so they ship with a heat bag in the pkg. during cold seasons.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X