X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spaker
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jan 2013

Tritrix Amplifier Choice?

Well? What have you the best luck with? Single input stereo is all I require, but am willing to entertain just about anything. If not a specific make and model, what about optimum wattage/ ohm rating? Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? All ears! Spaker Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My Studio Music Production Gear: http://equipboard.com/spaker
    Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube DJTT Soundcloud
  • fpitas
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2011

Buying or building an amp? It's going to depend on how big your room is, and how loud you expect to listen. And of course, your budget.

This thread may be of interest: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reo-amp-idears

And this: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...hat-do-you-use
    Francis

Comment

• fpitas
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2011

The Tritrix are rated as 8 ohms, so pretty much any modern amp will work.
      Francis

Comment

• djg
        Seasoned Veteran
        • May 2008

Not a recommendation, but people seem to like this. 5 yr warranty, 4 ohm capable. Never heard one.

Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power AmplifierDayton Audio APA150 150W Power AmplifierThe Only Amplifier You'll Ever NeedAmplifiers today need to be multi-faceted to keep up with the task at hand, and versatility is the foundation upon which the Dayton Audio APA150 is built. When configured in stereo mode, 75 watts of amplification is provided to a pair of speakers for stereo or surround playback. Select bridge-mono mode and the APA150 is ready to power a center channel speaker, or a subwoofer/tactile transducer with 150 watts when used with the on-board low pass filter. Full-range line-level outputs allow for daisy chaining amplifiers for a multi-room whole house audio system or for bi-amp applications. The APA150's smaller chassis consumes less space than conventional amplifiers, making placement options virtually limitless.New Dog, Old Tricks Standard features of the APA150 include high current, discrete power transistors (used in premium amp designs), a hefty toroidal power supply transformer, low-noise forced air cooling, and complete protection against electrical shorting and thermal overload.Total Integration The APA150 was designed for heavy duty use, including subwoofers. An 18dB/Oct low-pass filter can be set from 50Hz to 150Hz or run it in full range for higher powered speakers!The APA150 has the ability to bridge the stereo outputs to combine both channels for extra power with a single mono/stereo switch.When the APA150 detects signal at its input, it can automatically turn itself on. Once the music has stopped playing, the APA150 will turn itself off automatically to save power. No fuss and no more reaching over your expensive equipment! Shop the whole APA Series by Dayton AudioAPA102BTDual-zone 60 WPC Stereo Amplifier with BluetoothBuy NowAPA1200DSP1200 Watt subwoofer amplifier with integrated DSPBuy Now Dayton Audio's line of all purpose amplifiers has an amp for every occasion. Explore the entire collection to quickly and easily bring immersive sound to your desktop or compact space. Full Specifications: Maximum Output Power: 2x 75 watts RMS @ 4ohms, 1x 150 watts RMS @ 8ohmsTHD: 100dB UnweightedInput Sensitivity: 1VLine Input Connectors: RCALine Output Connectors: RCALow Pass Crossover Range: 50 Hz - 150 HzLine Input Impedance: 47kOhmPower Input Voltage Range: 120 - 240 VACDimensions (W x H x D): 5.6" H x 5.7" W x 12.8" DWeight: 13 lbs. SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

Comment

• tvrgeek
          • Jul 2020

You could get scientific. Model the speaker and see how much power it takes to reach 110dB ( threshold of pain) and how much it takes to reach Xmax. Not much reason to get one bigger. I was wondering if an upgrade to my old O-Audio plate was in order. But both of my subs will reach 113 dB @ 1M with 200W and X-Max with 240 and 220 respectively, so my old 300W plates are just fine. My 60W AVR is more than my HT mains can take and my 60W MOSFET is well matched to my living mains.

Sometimes much larger AB amps do sound a bit better. Several reasons. One is they may just be better designed, larger power bank etc, the other is if you jump in the number of outputs, the reduced current will let them run in a slightly more linear fashion with less thermal comp needed. On a class D, I guess it matters how the input is made. If analog, i.e. original triangle summer/trigger, then probably no difference, but if they are sampling to generate the PWM signal, bigger may not be better. Still learning about them.

Comment

• tvrgeek
            • Jul 2020

Watch out for amps ( like above) needing a fan. They can be very annoying. When I had a Beringher class D for two subs, it drove me crazy and it was inside a closet. I modified it with a massive heatsink, plenum and a variable speed fan. It was then quiet. My first "real" amplifier was a Sanyo V50. MOSFET and very good sounding, but the Freon gurgling in the heat pipe caused me to sell it. There is only one sound worse coming from a power amp, that is the compression and then silence when they go unstable and blow up. Parasound 2125 is on sale for $600. A very fine amp. Some like the Emotiva ( $230) for a budget amp. It has a fan though. Then the class D fans wil chime in. I have been looking half serious at a March.

Comment

• Geoff Millar
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2014

We drive ours with an old Yamaha RX596 receiver, no problem; 80 Watts RMS/ch, the speakers (MTM vented version) run out of puff before the receiver does.

Geoff

Comment

• davidroberts
                Midrange Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Spaker
                Well? What have you the best luck with? Single input stereo is all I require, but am willing to entertain just about anything. If not a specific make and model, what about optimum wattage/ ohm rating? Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? All ears! Spaker Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                It really depends on your listening taste and budget. As mentioned there are some very nice class D amps with a built in power supply if you want to roll your own.

EBay is full of deals on amps like NAD & Adcom. Personally I have a few old (+25yr) Kenwood amps that I love. The M1-D and the M-2A.

If you don't have a preamp you are likely going to need a receiver. Look for a used Marant or Demon unit.

Comment

• djg
                  djg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Decades ago, the local stereo shop (remember those?) had Kenwood M-2 and M-1 demo units on sale. I couldn't afford the M-2, bought the M-1. Regrets.
              • djg
                Seasoned Veteran
                • May 2008

The APA150 I linked has a volume knob, so if as you say, you only have one source, with this amp you would not need a preamp. Power amps typically do not have volume controls.

Comment

• Spaker
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by djg
                  The APA150 I linked has a volume knob, so if as you say, you only have one source, with this amp you would not need a preamp. Power amps typically do not have volume controls.
                  So that might be the ticket. Indeed, a single source- the PC under the television in a small living room. Many types of media end up coming from that PC, as the entire place is networked to a giant NAS library and ready to stream just about anything. Thanks. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  My Studio Music Production Gear: http://equipboard.com/spaker
                  Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube DJTT Soundcloud

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, a convenient volume control (remote) is nice, or the electronics within arm's reach.
                • tvrgeek
                  • Jul 2020

Once more, older amps have great circuits, but ELECTROLYTIC CAPS ONLY LAST 7 to 10 Years! So older Adcom, Parasound, Rotel, Rotel, etc need to be re-caped. But a couple hundred for a basic good amp, and maybe 100 worth of caps and you are in business with a $1000 or more amp in todays market.

My favorite: Parasound HCA series, Nakamichi PA5 Stasis, Aragon, and Adcom. Hafler and Rotel need a few circuit tweaks to come up to excellent from just very good.

I had for a day, the SMSI Sanskrit DAC. It had a remote volume control. Mine was either defective or it is junk, I bet the former, but a nifty no-preamp way to go if everything is coming via USB or Toslink. Other DACs have volume controls too. I use a touch screen PC now as my music server. I still have analog sources so still run my preamp. I can see a way in the future to eliminate it if I get some source selection application running correctly. Then PC to DAC ( with volume) to my analogue crossovers and amps.

Comment

• Wolf
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Sep 2005

My take- get a solid amplifier with 200-250W RMS so that the crests or transient-peaks in the music do not clip the amplifier. Tests have been done. If you have about an 84dB/2.83V speaker, then 200-250W is the range you should have to keep both your speakers and amplifiers happy when listening at a moderate volume. As your sensitivity goes up on the speaker, the fewer watts are required. 95dB speakers only require 17W to make the amplifiers happy in a normal living room at a moderate level.

I still stand by my Crown XLS1500 and XLS2000. I'm still very happy with my choice.
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• tvrgeek
                      • Jul 2020

I am all for not clipping the amplifier, but there is a point where enough is enough. An advantage of a much larger amp ( AB here, don't understand D well enough yet) is more output devices and frequently the higher price, means fewer short cuts in the architecture so lower distortion. But enough can be enough. I just modeled my Seas 7 inch mains. I run a 60W MOSFET ( my own) . Modeling it, 15W will drive my mains to 100 dB which is very loud. ( I would pick 110 peak if I was insane.) So a 6 dB overhead says my 60W amp is about right. Another 3 dB (120W) would not hurt if it had higher quality. I have no need for 250. But I would not want to want to downsize to a 40W integrated unless I lived in an apartment and 90 dB would be an obnoxious high peak. This is with a 4th order 60 Hz crossover. I have a 300W on the sub.

Message is to look seriously at your requirements not your bragging rights.

Comment

• fpitas
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • May 2011

You want at least 20dB overhead. Better recordings are not compressed, and some really do have >20dB peak/average.

Francis

Comment

• tvrgeek
                          tvrgeek commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ans some people have severally damaged hearing. Only thing they heard was the marketing guy trying to up-sell you. 20dB above pain threshold is considered to cause instant permanent damage.
                      • Wolf
                        Obsessed & Proud of It
                        • Sep 2005

Rickie Lee Jones has a recording or 2 that have +30dB dynamic range....

Yeah- +6dB is not enough.
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• tvrgeek
                          tvrgeek commented
                          Editing a comment
                          30dB dynamic range is AM radio. FM is 50 dB. 16 bit CD is 96 I think you are saying 30 higher than average maybe? When I say 6 dB, I mean 6 dB higher than any peak I could ever tolerate. Not 6 dB over typical average. I still have my hearing, or at least most of it. Maybe uncommon for my generation, but I never went to Who concerts stoned and do not use ear-buds.
                      Working...