No announcement yet.

Feedback on two-way design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tweeter looks like it's crossed pretty low, somewhere around 1700. Did you do a distortion sweep of the system at a decent level to see if it's complaining?
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
      The tweeter looks like it's crossed pretty low
      Yeah tweeter was specifically chosen for its ability to cross this low. Fs on this tweeter is 600hz so even with a crossover point ~1700 its nearly 3x its fs. This woofer really cant produce usable sound on this baffle beyond this point anyway so its impossible to move it any higher.

I haven't run any scientific distortion tests but I've listened to the tweeter on its with a range of music at high volume and its quite happy

In terms of overall power handling the woofer gives up a long time before the tweeter.
      Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
      Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post

Thanks . The veneer is Tasmanian Blackwood ...
        Solid design. And handsome. Unlike this guy

Click image for larger version  Name:	Devil.png Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	1455487

Comment

Take a look at this woofer filter. I entered your filter, and saved it as the overlay. Then I worked up the new filter. I attempted to match everything below 1k to yours, and then hammered the woofer breakup. I raised the xo point as well. If I didn't screw up, here's the results. It's a slightly damped 3rd order with a tank notch, and a broad notch for around 800hz range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	clone compare.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.0 KB ID:	1455505 Click image for larger version  Name:	clone.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.4 KB ID:	1455506

Comment

• DeZZar
            DeZZar commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy to throw it together and take some measurements but I'm not that familiar with the spreadsheet so struggling a little to determine the values. So we have a third order made up of 1.5mh??, 14uf and 0.3mh, a series notch in parallel 0.8mh, 40uf and 8ohm? And assume the tank is somewhere around 0.47uf & 4ohm?

• rpb
            rpb commented
            Editing a comment
            The third order part is 1.1mH, 14uf, and .3mH
            I put a .6 ohm resistor with the 14uf to smooth out the response. I put a .74uf cap across the 1.1mH coil.

I did this just to play, and exact values would change some. I used the factory data. You should add a 3 or 4 ohm resistor to the .74uf tank notch.

That's a sweet looking speaker and the baffle looks superb. I'm a lot like rpb in that I'll try several different crossovers/changes and listen over a period of time. Sometimes something really small makes a big difference. It was mentioned you wanted these buttoned up before starting the next project so that is that. Maybe set them back out of the way and do the final test n tune as time allows between other projects. Something I've noticed when voicing is my ear's preference for a dip starting somewhere around 1k and running up to maybe ~4k.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• DeZZar
            DeZZar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you - not sure if I'm 100% sold on the final look but hey, I wanted to try something a little different!

These will be definitely be revisited. I have a friend that wants me to make him a set and I already have a lot of tweaks I want to make to the construction and box internals so I'll be coming back to this design and crossover regardless. My other project is actually 75% progressed so its more a case of returning and finishing what I started before I get carried away and move onto project number 39! :P

• Kornbread
            Kornbread commented
            Editing a comment
            I've lots of unfinished or 'just needs a touch here or there' projects. Are we supposed to actually finish them?:O

So I re-instated my original tank type notch with better results. I'm pretty sure I might have grabbed the wrong cap value originally which threw the results out. I've now tested a series of different cap values and as Chris Roemer noted I think 0.47uf will be the sweet spot.

Here's a comparison no notch vs one with 0.5uf (I just don't have a 0.47 on hand). This pushes that 5.5K peak down another 13db leaving the majority of the woofer breakup -35db. That seems to be far enough? Isn't that the same as the volume being halved 10 times or have I screwed up my maths there?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	NoNotch vs Tank.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1455518

Updated final result. Looks like we're only talking +/- 1-2db at this point....(deliberately tilted downwards towards the top end ~5db from 100hz)

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1455519

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1455520
          Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
          Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Working...
          X