Amiga surround sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amiga surround sound

I just finished building the Amiga towers from Paul Carmody. I absolutely love them, but my center channel and rear surrounds now sound terrible. I was thinking about building 3 more Amiga speakers in sealed cabinets for the rears and center channel. I can't seem to find any information on the sealed designs other than on Paul's website. He references a sealed design using 8-11 liter cabinets. Does anyone have an opinion on doing this. It seams like the best idea to keep the whole system timbre matched. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Keep the same baffle width, driver arrangement and tweeter distance from the top. Manipulate the height and depth of your cabinet to give you a volume of 8-11 liters. I believe that's the meaning of his sentence on a sealed enclosure

Comment

That was the plan, I just haven't found any reviews of anyone that has done it. I would buy the baffle kit and just cut it down and adjust the volume to suite. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll lose bass extension. In a home theater, the subwoofer would fix that.

Comment

I have a SVS sub that will cover the low end. My current rears only go down to 55hz and my center to 50hz. I am not sure what the frequency response of the sealed Amiga is. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Typical to lose almost an octave going sealed from vented.

Comment

• Steve Lee
              Steve Lee commented
              Editing a comment
              So a vented enclosure picks up an octave of frequency response over a same sized enclosure which is sealed, Chris?

Most commonly the sealed enclosure will be about half the volume of the vented one.
            You can model boxes yourself using WinISD from linearteam.org (sc).
            Tell me the vented and sealed Amiga volumes, and I'll check.

Comment

• Steve Lee
              Steve Lee commented
              Editing a comment
              Chris, I was just replying to your generalization ^ above.

I'm not the OP - sorry if I have caused confusion.

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            Most commonly the sealed enclosure will be about half the volume of the vented one.
            You can model boxes yourself using WinISD from linearteam.org (sc).
            Tell me the vented and sealed Amiga volumes, and I'll check.
            Outside dimensions of the vented kit are 34"x8"x11" using 3/4" MDF (I'm guessing around 30L with everything inside?)....PE quotes an F3 of 34hz using the RS180S-8 woofer in the vented version.

In VCAD sim it looks like the RS180S-8 reaches its lowest sealed F3 (just under 80hz) in a 1/3-1/2cuft box (about 9L-14L) with the sim showing no obvious advantage to going over 10L.
            That relatively tiny box-size still shows an F6 around 60hz, so I'd imagine it'll give plenty of room for crossing to a subwoofer.

EDIT: the official site says vented is about 30L internal and recommends a sealed version size of 8L-11L while pairing with a sub.
            My first 2way build

Comment

Thanks for that LOUT. Does anyone have an opinion on using these as rears and possibly a center? If not these, is there a better option? Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnny5jz View Post
                Thanks for that LOUT. Does anyone have an opinion on using these as rears and possibly a center? If not these, is there a better option? Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                Assuming the recommended 8L-11L size isn't a problem, the only hurdle I can think of would be that some folks don't like the appearance of (or simply don't have the room for) a regular upright center speaker....aka a slightly tall, tweeter on top of a woofer, instead of a shorter+wider WTW. Laying the speaker onto its side can cause some lobing issues for folks seated farther from the middle that might or might not be a noticeable problem if you don't have the space for setting it upright....so upright will usually give the widest and most even dispersion for all the seats.

The only other worry might be if you already feel like you need to crank your stereo pair to make some parts loud enough...the single center might need to be pushed a little louder to keep similar volume as the old stereo pair, so that could be a little rough. That said, this design can already get pretty loud and the sealed versions with lows crossed to a subwoofer should be able to get all the way up near 100db with 60watts powering them, so I doubt SPL will be a problem.

It seems like you really enjoy their sound, so that's in good shape.

Only things I can think of for alternatives might be using the OvernightSensations for rears/surrounds IF you really want something smaller for that, and maybe seeking out a WTW center-channel designed for a similar sound (there's an MTM version of the OvernightSensation) IF you can't fit an upright *L-11L Amiga for your center.
                That's just based on the OvernightSensations being referred to as having a "similar tonal balance" as the Amigas....Not any personal endorsement of it because I haven't heard them to compare or anything like that. I'd wait for others who have compared them to comment if you're considering using the OS for surrounds or the MTM OS for center-channel.
                My first 2way build

Comment

There is a sunflower center channel design that is supposed to be a match for the amigas, for rears can use OS MTs probably

Comment

Working...
                  X