Damaged UM18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged UM18?

I am trying to determine if I have a damaged UM18. I have it in a 4cu sealed enclosure I put together. I've had it almost a year. The other day I decided to play "Bass I love you", because I've seen it many times in videos but never heard it on my own system. That may have been a poor decision. About halfway through the song I heard what I thought may have been some mechanical noise from the driver, so I shut everything off. I then turned everything back on, backed the volume down and ran a frequency sweep in REW. There was some major noise around 25-30hz tone. I took the woofer out of the box to make sure nothing came loose inside. I couldn't find anything amiss so put the driver back in the box. Then everything seemed fine, no noise. Then I realized there was some network equipment stacked on each other in the corner. It's possible the sound was that stuff rattling, but I was pretty sure the noise came from the driver. Now I'm not sure. Today I decided to push the cone in and test for voice coil rub. I noticed that if I push on the right side or the top, the VC will rub. However if I push on the bottom or the left side, there is no rub. Also no rub if I push on the center. So it seems the VC is tweaked to the left/bottom? Is this for sure a sign of damage? It is coming up on one year since I purchased it, so possibly still can get a warranty from PE. Tomorrow I had planned on a movie night with my little bro and we were both gonna see Dunkirk for the first time! I planned on really putting the sub through some work for that, but now I'm thinking if I make the sub worse I may not be able to get warranty coverage, if it is damaged. Thoughts? Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

If it rubs when you push on one side that's OK, because the cone doesn't do that in use.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'd remove the driver and drive it with enough of a very low frequency signal to move the cone substantially, and listen for problems.
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        If it rubs when you push on one side that's OK, because the cone doesn't do that in use.
        Ok yeah that makes sense. I went and tried this on my JL W3 and it rubs if pushed on anywhere but center. Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          I'd remove the driver and drive it with enough of a very low frequency signal to move the cone substantially, and listen for problems.
          Ok thanks, I will do this. I actually just realised what the rattling might have been. I recently finished building 2 Elusive 1099 speakers, and one is on the sub box. I thought there was no way 100+ lbs speakers would rattle on top of the box, but they were. I tested again and that one was making quite the racket. I added some foam underneath that one and that seems to be solved. Which spawned a flurry of sound deading, the coffee table, tv screen, picture hanging lol. Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Comment

ALL "Dayton" drivers come with a 5 year warranty. Lucky you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              ALL "Dayton" drivers come with a 5 year warranty. Lucky you.
              The cost to send it back though....OUCH.

Comment

Working...
              X