Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomzarbo
    commented on 's reply
    I remember that driver. It only has about 2/3 of the excursion of the W8-740 which I've seen moving a lot more than it's listed Xmax...
    ...but boy, it sure is a TON cheaper! ...And you can actually purchase one instead of 50. Nice one!
    TomZ

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Here is a screen shot, not sure how good the plot line shows up though...

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent velocity power.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1462612
    This is with a test driver that came with the program I believe, just to show what I was talking about.
    If you don't raise the 'system input power' I don't think you will be able to tell what the vent velocity will be at working power levels.

The graph is under the second from the left where it defaults to 'transfer function magnitude' I think.

Tomz

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Cheap? The MCM 55-2421 8" sub. I have two in my Table Tuba. $30 at Newark. One might call it a Tang Band W8-740 copy. With a 10" PR as several suggested designs here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcm 8.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1462608

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    I built a passive version ot Tom's Tenacious 8 design, similar to this. TB W8-740 and a 10" Dayton PR. Great performance. The W8-740 is now on quantity order status, too bad.

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    No problem. I think Lunchmoney is looking for a build from a kit or a flat pack, but that design has stuck in my head. It certainly fits his size request.

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    I would check the vent velocity graph, it might be getting high with a 1.5 inch port.
    Also, make sure your input voltage is something approaching real world... I can't see on those graphs.
    TomZ
    Thanks Tom. Is this what you're referring to?

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. A bit too expensive though, particularly since I'd like to use the DSP plate amps instead of the Crown (I have no other EQ)

• tomzarbo
    replied
    I would check the vent velocity graph, it might be getting high with a 1.5 inch port.
    Also, make sure your input voltage is something approaching real world... I can't see on those graphs.
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• hex168
    replied
    Reply to Post #6 - sealed.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    commented on 's reply
    See below I've taken a stab at modeling the DCS205-4 in the .75 cu ft box, as LOUT suggested here.... thanks again!

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Ok so I've taken a stab at modeling the Dayton Classic 8" sub in the PE .75 cu ft flat pack enclosure, vented with a 1.5" x 4.5" port, tuned to 33.63 hz.... the tuning was automatically suggested by WinISD, I didn't try changing it (should I?)

Decided to try this because it really keeps the cost down for 2 subs, and maybe it's enough for me.

I'm shaky at best in WinISD, could someone please double check me here?

And of course, does this seem like a good solution overall?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, bud!
    Wolf

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by LOUT View Post
    If you need to stay under 1ft-cu and ~45hz isn't quite low enough, I think the 8" DCS205-4 reaches about 10hz deeper than its bigger 10" sibling in a 0.75-1.0ft ported (or PR) space.
    It doesn't get as loud, but it should still be able to hit roughly 107db (before baffle/etc losses...not sure if that's a thing for subs).
    I think the 10" DCS255-4 (like billfizmaurice mentioned), though not as deep, can get about up around 111db.
    Thanks. Yes a ported 8 might make sense in the .75 cu ft boxes.... I would just need to get over my fear of being underwhelmed by 8's. Because I'm going for two subs, I probably just need to get over it.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Sounds like you're already there decision wise, but just in case...
    Ha!.... No, far from it... the decision agony continues.... although I say agony in jest; I'm having fun digging into some speaker projects again after all these years.

I'm strongly leaning towards two of the .75 cu ft boxes.... so easy to build, and room placement has a decent number of options.

The Bagby Baby Boomer is certainly a contendor, but I'm wondering if a simpler (cheaper?) sealed design would also work well. A few suggestions have already been made, I just gotta figure out which one....

Or maybe someone has another idea for these boxes?

Thanks again everyone

Leave a comment:

• LOUT
    replied
    If you need to stay under 1ft-cu and ~45hz isn't quite low enough, I think the 8" DCS205-4 reaches about 10hz deeper than its bigger 10" sibling in a 0.75-1.0ft ported (or PR) space.
    It doesn't get as loud, but it should still be able to hit roughly 107db (before baffle/etc losses...not sure if that's a thing for subs).
    I think the 10" DCS255-4 (like billfizmaurice mentioned), though not as deep, can get about up around 111db.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X