Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    There's nothing to brace with 2 PRs, a speaker and plate amp except top to bottom. The rest is four big holes.

• lunchmoney
    commented on 's reply
    No doubt. The cost plus the WAF-friendly size is great.... but I can already hear the "what if I'd gotten the 10's" factor, as you mentioned.

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Regarding vented vs PR's for the Baby Boomer, it occurred to me that using the PR's plus a plate amp really hinders the ability to add bracing, and therefore maybe ported is better.... or does PR's still have the advantage?

I know the PR vs vented debate has been beaten to death, but I've never heard mention of its impact on bracing (or lack thereof) in a compact enclosure.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    The last thing I'll say is that the 8" DSP kit is at a very good price. A $200 amp, $100 speaker, flat pack enclosure and a sheet of peel and stick sound foam for $300, $250 when on sale.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    These, paper cone, 5 hole mount. DCS255-4, SPA250DSP all in stock

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...diator-295-494

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Two of the Bagby Baby Boomers with SPA250's seems perfect..... the small .67 cu ft cabinets with 10's makes sense.

Regarding the option of ports vs passive radiators (haven't decided yet), can someone please point me to which PE parts these are? The meniscus kits are on backorder unfortunately, and Meniscus doesn't specify.

I'm leaning towards the ported version to save cost, but I'm not convinced of this.... any opinions?

Also, would mounting the SPA250's in the box mess with the volume too much? Easy enough to mount them externally I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Bedroom, music only, no Marvel Comic Universe? I hate to have you spend $600 on my account, but I'll venture a "yes". I have several pairs of 2 way TMs I play in my PC 2.1. 3" to 5 1/4" DIY. I also recently purchased a pair of Kali LP-6 active monitors as a DIY hobby sanity check. Those are 6 1/2" two ways. I found them surprisingly weak in the bass, after the gushing reviews everywhere. The little 8" dsp sub works with all of these. I'm using 400 watts of Outlaw monoblocks BTW.

There's always the "what if I'd bought the 10" factor.

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    The DCS255-4Classic 10 is plenty of driver for a bedroom, especially if you use two. The SPA250 DSP is a good match, and a pair won't exceed your budget.
    Thanks Bill. Looks like they fit in the small Denovo .67 cu ft cabinet, which is fantastic for room placement, and my gut tells me I'll be happier with dual 10's as opposed to dual 8's (although the dual 8's are a higher end driver so I'm not sure of that).

Any thoughts on two of these vs two of the PE Sealed 8's? For sure the vented 10's will dig deeper and have higher output, but what about sound quality?

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by JensToft91 View Post
    +1 for Crown XLS amps. Completely silent.
    Yes, very appealling.... but I don't have any eq to "bass boost" them.... dedicated sub amps all seem to have said feature, so is this a concern?

Also no dsp, which from what I've read is a nice feature for subs.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like the SD300-6 is open back, so very little volume change without the amp. It was designed to be small, competent designer.

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    I have 2 PE 8" RS kits with the 250dsp amps, very happy. Different rooms. Super simple build, best used with a source into the sub and the stereo amp downstream of the sub, in and out so to speak. Great for a PC. Total control of the crossover point, slopes etc. The 500 dsp uses the same software. Set with a windows PC or a knob on the amp.

One of the 250dsp units is a few years old, no trouble.
    Yes, this option really is appealling. Small, simple to build, people seem to like it.

Just to confirm, do you think I'll be happy with the output of two of them in my medium-sized bedroom?

And will they sound good with my not-that-small mains? Very often subs this size are recommended as "a good match for small satellites in a small-ish system" (or whatever).... will they integrate well with the 3x-larger-volume Hi-Vi's?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JensToft91
    replied
    +1 for Crown XLS amps. Completely silent.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by hex168 View Post
    Two Denovo 0.67 cu ft boxes, which will need to be braced. $42 each.Two RSS HF 10" 4 Ohm subs $145 each. One Crown XLS 1002, $349. Total $723.

You will not hear the fans come on - that will only happen when the music is quite loud.

The Crown can handle the crossover, but if you do not have EQ in your system already, consider a mindsp or a Dayton LSP-LF and a y-splitter once your budget can handle it.
    Wow that sounds like a great option, thanks..... Sealed or ported?

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Bagby Baby Boomer at Meniscus. 10" Dayton in a 12" cube PE flat pack. 2 PRs or port. Yung amp.
    Wow, quite inexpensive. On backorder unfortunately, although I suppose I could piece together something similar directly on PE.

If I used a separate amp instead of the plate amp, would the volume still make sense?

Leave a comment:

• hex168
    replied
    Two Denovo 0.67 cu ft boxes, which will need to be braced. $42 each.Two RSS HF 10" 4 Ohm subs $145 each. One Crown XLS 1002, $349. Total $723.

You will not hear the fans come on - that will only happen when the music is quite loud.

The Crown can handle the crossover, but if you do not have EQ in your system already, consider a mindsp or a Dayton LSP-LF and a y-splitter once your budget can handle it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X