No announcement yet.

Looking for Advice on Next Project - 2-way with a Non-standard Tweeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my little Triumph sub! Solid to 40Hz by itself, in room a bit lower.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Arctos
      Arctos commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don't mind me asking, how much stuffing did you put in the cabinet? And did you line the inside with anything?

• Wolf
      Wolf commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as stuffing goes, I didn't have a lot of room to put much in it. You don't want it on the amplifier due to hot parts. The magnet on the SDF is bigger than the Neo in the one I built (no measurable result difference really), so that is taking up more volume. Rumor has it, the plate amps are being sealed better at the jacks than prior, so the whistling from leakage I had (and Tommy on his build) will likely not be an issue. Don't forget the central pole-brace from top to bottom, as it's about the only brace you can get in there. At most for stuffing, you might be able to place a couple layers of batting.

• Arctos
      Arctos commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect, thanks! I'll fit what stuffing I can in there without touching amp or driver (or PR's) and will not forget the brace.

Yes, I've heard great things about your design. I think it might pair well with the first pair of speakers I've built - I think they're called the ELF 1.0. A single driver design from quite a while ago that uses small tang band full range drivers. Sound very nice near field but of course no low frequency at all.

I found the plate amp and driver (TB W5-1138SMF) at Parts Express, but they don't carry the PR. Found those at another site I frequent where I got the Mandolin kit.

Comment

Just to pile on - I heard Craig's Keramiskas at Iowa DIY and thought they were simply stunning. So good that I used the aluminum version of that SB woofer in what's now my personal best design. It's been a while since I have heard any of Wolf's designs, but the few I did hear sounded great. He had a smallish pair using the rectangular faced HiVi RT-1.3 that sure turned my head.

You can't go wrong building a project from either of these guys!
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

• Wolf
        Wolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Tom!

• PWR RYD
        PWR RYD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, thanks Tom!

Thanks for your input Tom! i'm starting to build up a backlog of projects! I ordered the components for Wolf's Triumph last night and will hopefully start cutting MDF this weekend. i don't expect this project to take too long and will make a decision on the next one soon. Designs by the folks mentioned above are on the short list for sure. Though I haven't seen one by Wolf that used the HiVi tweeter you mention.

Comment

Because the xover is kept to myself.... It's not a public design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1465761

The RT1.3WE is the replacement of the RT1.3 with just the square faceplate.
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wolf - are those woofers Dynavox or Dynaudio?
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Ahhh! Very nice looking! Per Tom's questions above, the woofers could also be HiVi I think?

Comment

Wolf and PWR RYD I know both of your xo's with the RT1.3 are not public, but general question...did you find it easy to work with or did you need to work out any issues?

Comment

Speaking of different tweeters to try... Just saw these buyout Planars up on PE for $21ea.
                https://www.parts-express.com/Foster...-8-Ohm-279-468. Anyone know anything about them? Sound quality?

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                  Wolf and PWR RYD I know both of your xo's with the RT1.3 are not public, but general question...did you find it easy to work with or did you need to work out any issues?
                  It was an easy driver to work with. My filter was 3rd order electrical and I ended up adding a small cap across the padding resistor to lift the top octave a smidge. It's one of my favorite tweeters because of how natural bells, whistles, high hats, etc. sound.
                  Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I used the Dynavox woofers (old slab-frames) in my Vijon project. The Dynavox lends very easy to an LR6 acoustic rolloff, so I had to use an electrical 4th order to match it. That said- it is a very good tweeter, and one of my favorites. I much prefer it to the Neo3.

And honestly, the Vijon is a high benchmark for me in 2-ways. I've done some in the past and liked how they sounded or thought I did okay. Then I put up the Vijon and think the former are total garbage. Felt that way about the Trichotomies, which are not awful in any regard. The Glucinium Amor also can do this for me.

Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I keep looking at alternative drivers, Ribbons, AMT, planers etc. Looking at OBJEVTIVE testing, it looks like alternative drivers are far more expensive to reach the same performance level and in many cases force the use of a midrange so more cost, more complications. I am more excited by some of the newer dome materials. Waiting to see more reviews and objective tests of the Peerless drivers. It is just plain hard to beat a 1 inch dome and 5 inch mid-bass even cost no object. Of course, progress keeps moving along on alternative drivers too.

Now that sounds a bit negative, but it is not entirely. Some of the alternatives have positive attributes that some find overcome some negatives. Just as the case that some prefer horns for their positives, where I basically detest them for the same reasons. The right answer is yours, not mime.

PS: I would like to hear the Keramiskas for a small monitor, though on paper the crossover region looks problematic to me. Almost bought some of the SB's but would pair them with Peerless corundum domes. Maybe when this COVID crap is over, I can get out and about to some events and hear what is being done.

Comment

The build has begun:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3354.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1466092

Got the chop and circular saws out yesterday and cut some MDF. Amp, TB driver and spikes showed up Friday. Still waiting on the PR's.

BTW, is there any reason I should not use spikes with a subwoofer that will sit on carpet?

And tvrgeek, totally agree with your last statement about getting out and attending some events to see/hear what folks have constructed. I've never been to a DIY event, but hope to some day.

Comment

Well, I finally finished my Triumph build. Wish I coulde post some photos but I can't seem to figure out how. Think they are too large or something. I'll work on it. Made some rookie mistakes but learned a lot with this build. First time trying an inlay and I'm happy with the results of that portion.

I am experiencing something a bit weird and will ask for guidance:

My setup is a pair of small single driver speakers and the Triumph for the low frequency stuff driven by a Dayton Audio HTA50BT amp. Initially I'm testing the system via Bluetooth from my Apple Mac to the amp and feed signal to the sub plate amp from the single sub output from the amp. I use a Y splitter to feed both low level inputs on the plate amp. I want to run the volume on the Mac wide open and adjust volume via the amp. I turn on the plate amp and, based on volume of the speakers, i set a sub volume that seems to match. When I turn the volume up or down on the amp the sub does not change volume. However, when I change the volume at the Mac, it does. So, can this be sorted out, or do I just need to set a base volume at the amp and tweak the volume a the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I would use the MAC as the volume source. It seems that the subwoofer output is not controlled by the master volume on the HTA, which would make me think twice whether to purchase it now that I know that.

Generally speaking, the MAC maxed out would clip more readily I would think anyway, and keeping it roughly at 80% or less is a pretty good idea.
                            Another note, is that the 25W plate does not have an auto-on feature, and I wish it did. Most that have built this or used it have incorporated a power strip to turn it off and on at the level desired.

As to posting pics, hit the paperclipped folder above the reply body, and it will allow you to attach in or out of body pics via an 'attach' at the bottom of the reply body. It does not show up until you click the folder above.

I'd love to see your photos!
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                            X