• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctos
    commented on 's reply
    Right, thanks!

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    The cost stated in the Cryolite post is from 2005.

• Arctos
    replied
    Thanks, really nice choices. i"m not much of a tweaker, so want to go with a tried and tested design. i looked at the Bagby Auricle, but believe it's well over the $1k mark. I really liked the looks of the Cryolite. Will give the others some consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Tom Zarbo's 'Bantams' also apply...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    https://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speak...7/Cryolite.htm

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    isaeagle's 'Midnight Magic' have an AMT/FaitalPro combo, and also sound quite good.
    If you're in to tweaking, my simulated 'Profusion' build has enough info to build them, but they have not been proven.
    John also did a design for DrJay, using the HiVi F5 and an RT1.3WE, very similar in format to my Profusion hypothesis.
    Scott designed a small 2-way with marvin, using the RS150T and an AMT.
    JeffB did the Auricle, with the RAAL and an SB unit. I never got to hear that one.
    The Cryolite from our departed Lou Corragio should also be mentioned. It is a dynamite sounding stand-mount. RS180/Neo3

I'm sure there are others...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Arctos
    replied
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks so much for your input! Great to have some guidance from the pro's. Don't know how I missed that the Nephila was a floor stander, but that puts it out of contention for this build (already have some large floor standers I built from a Dave Ellis design). Balance and the qualities of a well-integrated ribbon or AMT tweeter are what i'm looking for so I'll keep the Keramiskas and Stances in my realm of consideration and will also look at the Seriatims and Rhodiums. And I'm still open to other options if anyone has further input.

Regards,

RDS

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    I'll concur with Wolf. Wolf's Stances, John Hollander's Seriatims, Scott Shelin's Rhodiums, or my Keramiskas would all be good choices.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Of that list, the Nephila are floor standing towers. Box mods would be up to you. That said, Speedsters I feel are a little thick in the midbass, but still good. Keramiskas are well refined. Stances are fun and sound great, but I would note they do not measure flat. I heard the Spitfires once, but not sure if the build was faithful to design. I have not heard the Micros.
    Another option would be Jhollander's Seriatim, or Scott Sehlin's Rhodium
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Arctos
    commented on 's reply
    Got it, thanks!

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    These designs interest me enough to want to build them.

• Arctos
    replied
    Thanks fpitas,
    I'm aware of this and expect that these designs and others will take that into consideration.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    I hope you understand that the typical ribbon won't dig as deep as a dome tweeter without distorting. In any event, the crossover will change completely.

Leave a comment:

• Arctos
    replied
    Thanks djg,
    Are your thoughts based on personal preference, experience listening to some of these or other factors?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    All nice stuff. Based on what I would want to build, Wolf's designs or the Keramiskas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X