Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Lee
    • Jan 2020

Compact, Nearfield 3 way thoughts . . .

I keep trying to come up with a design that can approach the sound of the 1.6 cu ft 12" woofer loaded cabinets with a MT (separate 5" mid with 1" tweeter) cabinet sitting on top and crossed at around 150 ~ 300 Hz - only in a much smaller cabinet/footprint.

So far all I can come up with is to emulate the Troels and his Bass Module using an 8 " down firing subwoofer driver with face tilted upwards (30*) and out of a rectangular opening in the lower front of the cabinet (~ 1 cu ft or less) with the Mid installed just above that woofer opening and the tweeter mounted above the mid.
    This alignment is in order to maintain the SHORTEST Height of the overall enclosure. I'd rather it be deeper (depth) than taller or wider but keep it under 10" wide, overall and no more than 14" tall.
    If the woofer is vented then the port can go on either the front or back - I am looking for detail and note-changes not just one-note thump.

If the Woofer is mounted on the bottom at 60*-ish from the MT - how much difference will it make (phase-wise) if crossed at 150 HZ using 2nd order/12db X-over?

The Troels say that below 150 Hz you need to move air fast with a lot of surface area to make good sounding low-end and from my experience he is right as rain.

86 db sensitivity isn't going to cut it in an 8" woofer . . . or will it?

T
    <M___
    \_W__

I ramble . . . on . . .

• DeZZar
    • Dec 2019

Currently building a similar design to these http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBA-941.htm for a customer (same drivers).

He is looking for something with a more classic/retro style in as compact a design as possible. They will find themselves going between his mixing studio and living room as the mood takes him so they had to work in a nearfield situation.

It'll be the first time I use this woofer but planning on using it a lot more. F3 ~33Hz in 40L (1.4cu ft).

It's capable of 25hz in 70L (2.4cu ft) design....more on that in the future....
    Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
    Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• Steve Lee
      • Jan 2020

That linked design looks nice but still a bit too large physically for my application - Good luck with your build.

Comment

• djg
        Seasoned Veteran
        • May 2008

In the background is the Norcal Charlie Laub Peerless Vifa 5" 2 way atop an Anarchy tapped horn. DIYSG used to kit these. Narrow but a bit deep. Good to 25hz. This is a bass management setup with HT amp with subout, separate amp.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ree...-horn.1238398/

Click image for larger version

Name:	horn sub.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1467406

Comment

• wogg
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Nov 2015

Side firing woofers crossed low are a good option too. You can cross <= 250Hz for this type of application IMO, and a passive crossover with big coils is going to cost a bit.

Based on responses I don't think folks caught this part: 14" tall, 10" wide, however deep it takes right? That sounds like a new design to me.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• Steve Lee
            • Jan 2020

^ Correct, Wogg!

Comment

• djg
              Seasoned Veteran
              • May 2008

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...utions/hafnium

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...ions/zirconium

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...247950-Latus1=

Comment

• Steve Lee
                • Jan 2020

Guys, thanks for the ideas/links - still on the search/cogitating designs.

I can make the baffle shorter by tilting the woofer down to where it takes almost half its width in baffle height . . .

I should probably draw a picture or something.

Comment

• djg
                  djg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why stop halfway?

Dayton Audio 6-1/2" Down Firing Passive Mini Subwoofer Kit 100 WattsDayton Audio 6-1/2" Down Firing Passive Mini Subwoofer Kit 100 Watts With an elegant compact enclosure, this 6-1/2" down-firing subwoofer kit is a great addition to any small stereo or home theater. Using a Dayton Audio DCS165-4 woofer in a vented down-firing configuration, this kit will fit low-key into any decor or under a desk to add high quality bass response and extension to your system. Features:High excursion DCS165-4 driver delivers surprising output and extension in a small packageAdjustable-length port design allows you to tune to different frequencies to suit your needsDown-firing configuration inherently protects driver from curious fingers and/or feet if placed under a deskCustomize the precision cut CNC enclosure to fit any decorThis kit includes everything needed for assembly; pre-cut enclosure, driver, binding posts, screws, and wireCustomer Comments: " This was a fun build and has enough sub sound for a good sized room. Try it!" - eddie m ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆"It is a good kit for first time speaker builders." -Anthony R ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆"Definitely recommend if you love music!" - Cliff P ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆" A very nice, well made kit. I really liked the adjustable port. It blends well with the other two speakers. Seems to have a very linear response. It's a big bang for your buck!" - Gary W ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆Meet the Designer: Matt PhillipsCustomer Projects: The CabinetThe locally sourced CNC-cut knock down enclosure is constructed of 3/4" MDF and is designed to be easily assembled with basic wood working tools. The integrated legs elevate the enclosure to provide ample clearance and breathing room for the driver even in thick carpet. The sleek design includes round overs on each vertical corner making it easy to finish the enclosure to fit into any décor. The DriverIf you are looking for a compact subwoofer that requires low amounts of power and space but still provides plenty of output and extension, look no further. The Dayton Audio DCS165-4 6-1/2" driver combined with the stylish vented enclosure provides heart thumping bass and in-room extension to below 40 Hz. With adjustable tuning capability, this kit can be dialed in to match your system’s needs. This passive subwoofer takes up less than 1 square foot of floor space but still has the capability to make the perfect match for most small bookshelf speakers.Kit Components:Part #QTY.Description260-3871Port Tube 2" ID Adjustable295-1981Dayton Audio DCS165-4 6-1/2" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm081-436125-Pack #8 x 3/4" Pan Head Deep Thread Black Screws091-12451Dayton Audio BPA-38G HD Binding Post Pair Gold101-7802ft.Consolidated 16 AWG 2-conductor Power Speaker Wire 1 ft. (Red/Black)Specifications:Power: 100 watts RMS/200 watts maxFrequency response: 35-1,000 Hz (with no filter)Impedance: 4 OhmSensitivity: 87.4 dB 1W/1mDimensions:12.5" H x 9" W x 12" D SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

• Steve Lee
                  Steve Lee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This ^ has real possibilities - mated with a 2 ~ 3" FR and/or to a 1/2" tweeter installed in the front of the cabinet as low as possible.
                  Could be perfect for the shelf above my desk . . . the size is about right too.
              • Whitneyville1
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Oct 2011

For nearfield work, deep-reaching three-ways are problematic from a physics basis, although advances in small sub-woofer technology like Dayton's Epiques help things. The solutions aren't cheap, however. Time and phase alignment of frequencies above 150Hz easily become an issue. You can go back nearly a hundred years when "talkies" came to movie houses and read the engineering Western Electric and others spent on making sound understandable in barn-like "theaters" that might seat a thousand where old "live" Vaudeville and Broadway Houses rarely seated 400 with three balconies, like the old Orpheum built before statehood in Tulsa and converted to a movie house. May West performed live there in 1916 as a teenager, all 4 foot 1 inch of her but you could hear her sing out on Birch Street (3rd Street) clearly!

Comment

• DeZZar
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by wogg
                  ...14" tall, 10" wide, however deep it takes right? That sounds like a new design to me.
                  What about these?

Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
                  Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• Steve Lee
                    Steve Lee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another possibility, for sure - but I am not so much interested in sub woofer boom than I am in the fullness and effortless sound of a large speaker system in a compact design although without actually hearing the DINAS I cannot discount them.

Thanks for the thoughts/contribution - I have recently taken inventory of my speaker driver collection and find that I am WAY behind on building cabinets/cross-overs and need to get up off my ass and utilize the ridiculous levels of available drivers I have accumulated by thinking too much . . .

:D
                • wogg
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Nov 2015

Steve Lee RE: Subwoofer boom

That's not really a thing unless you're setting up subwoofers incorrectly. Most people do set them up incorrectly, so I know where you're coming from. The DINAS aren't really a subwoofer system either, just an option where a full range speaker is used to reach low enough to mate to a woofer that goes really low but can't reach to a traditional tweeter. Personally I'm hesitant to use that in a larger room and would lean toward near field for such a design, but I'm not sure that's a rational position. I just prefer small diameter domes for highs, I like the sparkle.
                  Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                  Wogg Music
                  Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Working...