Builds using B&C 6md38 mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builds using B&C 6md38 mids?

I was gifted a pair and don't have time to design speakers at this time in my life. Does anyone know of any builds already using these mid-range drivers?
    I don't know what to do with them.

Might be tough. Those are pro-audio drivers, very sensitive and meant to take gobs of power all night. The frequency response isn't bad, but it's not like you'd expect of a hi-fi driver.
    Francis

Comment

Post this over on diyaudio forum in the multi way section. I think that you'll have a better chance of what you're looking for. Guys all around the globe have done a good number of pro driver designs. Glenn.

Comment

If you do go there (DIYA) you'll learn how a quality pro driver is much better what some call"hifi" drivers... I don't typically call drivers hifi or PA per say...it is either a driver that does its job really well or it doesn't...This one in particular does not have the best response above 3khz....from 150hz-3khz the response is pretty decent though....cross at >200hz and <2khz, approximately.... this would be a decent driver...there are drivers with flatter responses but this one isn't horrible between a certain usable range...its not the best 6.5" driver either...

Comment

Originally posted by Flaxxer View Post
          I was gifted a pair and don't have time to design speakers at this time in my life. Does anyone know of any builds already using these mid-range drivers? I don't know what to do with them.
          My suggestion would be to sell these midranges rather than compromise your decision, and look for the loudspeaker design that you want to either build or buy.
          "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
          of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
          - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
          A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
          (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I have to agree with JRT. There are so many other mid-range "hi-fi" drivers easier to use out there, don't beat your head against a brick wall until the wall is bloody.

Ricky-Pooh

Comment

If you just have to use them, maybe you'll find a build on a DJ forum. Normally you'd pair those with a 15" pro woofer and a horn.
              Francis

Comment

Regarding "pro" versus "HiFi" drivers: Just be aware that almost all of the music you listen to was recorded and mastered using "pro" drivers. Likewise, all of the amplified music you have listened to was through "pro" drivers. Just sayin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by LIDAR View Post
                  Regarding "pro" versus "HiFi" drivers: Just be aware that almost all of the music you listen to was recorded and mastered using "pro" drivers. Likewise, all of the amplified music you have listened to was through "pro" drivers. Just sayin'.....
                  The big problem here is those drivers don't do bass. So, you need a woofer. Now you have a three way system, because they really don't do treble either. All that's doable, but he wants an existing design.

BTW, I use pro drivers for my horns (TAD TD-2002s), so I agree they can work just fine for home use.
                  Last edited by fpitas; 04-28-2021, 01:15 PM.
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by LIDAR View Post
                    Regarding "pro" versus "HiFi" drivers: Just be aware that almost all of the music you listen to was recorded and mastered using "pro" drivers..
                    Pro-sound doesn't mean for professional use. Pro-sound drivers are intended for use in high power/high sensitivity PA systems and musical instrument speakers. They typically sacrifice fidelity to realize high power handling and high sensitivity.Studios don't require either the high power or high sensitivity of pro-sound speakers, and they aren't willing to sacrifice fidelity to get it. By and large studios use high end consumer grade speakers, like Genelec, Westlake and B&W, for their primary playback, and inexpensive consumer grade speakers for nearfield monitoring. The Yamaha NS-10 was once found in some 90% of studios as nearfield monitors.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

That mid has very good specs, however, I worked with it for many hours and couldn't find a way to like it. I've used Audax PR170s for years with very good results. I now use the 18Sound 6ND430 which took minutes to get nice and a few hours to nail a simple 2 part crossover.

Many Prosound devices were years ahead of home HI-FI which have only recently caught up. Unfortunately many of the great home Hi-Fi pieces cost as much as prosound. There are plenty of modern bargains to use. A great time for DIY.

Comment

Working...
                      X