recycling broken things.....and some speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recycling broken things.....and some speakers

whilst entertaining my kids this morning i started having a look at youtube and saw this video. Slightly different use for some busted wireless ear buds using them for some wireless speakers.

Not for everyone and his choice of subwoofer isnt a cheap one and considering its the 2inch TB with a MRP of $55 each, but still interesting to me. Also uses the tectonic 2inch BMR.

https://youtu.be/zNHDbXAmY_0

enjoy

Very interesting, thank you

I don't have the dexterity to do it but worth thinking about

Geoff

Comment

Yeah it was just one of those things, wouldn't do it personally, but gave me an idea or two for the little pc speakers I still want to build in the drivers. Just not willing to commit to the pair of TB subs as wouldn't get much change out of 200 AUD I'd say....

Comment

Yeah a saw that, nice video and a cool idea to reuse the earbuds. One thing to bear in mind: I suspect many of those earbuds will have a fixed equalization curve programmed into them, which won't be correct for the speaker.
        One way to potentially save a bit of money, the Tang Band 2" integrated "subwoofer" module performs comparably to the 2" driver, (at least on paper), and only costs $32 on PE.

Comment

I've watched a few videos from that same guy. His videos are really well done, and that's a creative way to get some more life out of a basically dead set of earbuds.
          I had to chuckle though at the 'crossovers' he made... they were so tiny looking.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            I've watched a few videos from that same guy. His videos are really well done, and that's a creative way to get some more life out of a basically dead set of earbuds.
            I had to chuckle though at the 'crossovers' he made... they were so tiny looking.

TomZ
            i must admit i was looking at those crossovers thinking to myself "are they made of paperclips"..... this guy was one of the reasons i wanted to make bluetooth speakers after the concrete one with the ND65's.

Comment

Originally posted by zx82net View Post
              Yeah a saw that, nice video and a cool idea to reuse the earbuds. One thing to bear in mind: I suspect many of those earbuds will have a fixed equalization curve programmed into them, which won't be correct for the speaker.
              One way to potentially save a bit of money, the Tang Band 2" integrated "subwoofer" module performs comparably to the 2" driver, (at least on paper), and only costs $32 on PE.
              really just found it an interesting way to deal with e waste. I'm struggling to try tang band gear, it is just way too expensive to get to australia, just doesnt really make it even worth a fun project when you have to spend around 200 AUD just for two 2 inch subs and you dont even get the passives. Makes me wish that i knew someone going to the US just to grab me some gear on the side The only other mob i know of to get TB gear outside of PE is in europe and similar cost in the package with the PR, but run into the same issue with shipping and taxes etc. So will just need to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else haha

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post

really just found it an interesting way to deal with e waste. I'm struggling to try tang band gear, it is just way too expensive to get to australia, just doesnt really make it even worth a fun project when you have to spend around 200 AUD just for two 2 inch subs and you dont even get the passives. Makes me wish that i knew someone going to the US just to grab me some gear on the side The only other mob i know of to get TB gear outside of PE is in europe and similar cost in the package with the PR, but run into the same issue with shipping and taxes etc. So will just need to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else haha
                I really just don't see why it's so dang expensive for you guys down under to get stuff like this. I can get pretty much anything delivered to me from China half way around the world for two pennies and you guys pay through the nose to get a paperclip delivered to your door in Australia.

Seems like someone is just being a meanie!

TomZ
                Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Geoff Millar
                  Geoff Millar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's all relative, as retail speakers are also much more expensive here: a US$500 pair will be around A$1,000 to $1200.

As for cars and spare parts.......'rip off' springs to mind.

Geoff

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

I really just don't see why it's so dang expensive for you guys down under to get stuff like this. I can get pretty much anything delivered to me from China half way around the world for two pennies and you guys pay through the nose to get a paperclip delivered to your door in Australia.

Seems like someone is just being a meanie!

TomZ
                Getting direct from.china isn't too bad but certain product's just have a small market and just don't make it down here any other way. I reached out to TB once and they told me to buy through PE or they could do something similar at a similar price, so just gave up. I'll just have to wait until the Aussie dollar is close to parity (maybe another decade ) before I can buy TB

Comment

• Geoff Millar
                  Geoff Millar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Before the $A went down the tube and US postage costs went through the roof, I bought some specials and open box stuff, but last time I wanted to try that with a pair of tweeters the $A post cost was over $50!

So now we're limited to what's available locally, which is limited to Visaton, Scan Speak, Peerless/VIFA, SB Acoustics and Dayton, although Dayton products have almost doubled in price over the last three years

Geoff
                  Last edited by Geoff Millar; 05-07-2021, 06:31 AM.

I love the idea of stealing the wireless bluetooth stereo. But I'm very concerned that there is a pre-applied EQ curve and/or DSP on the earbuds, not exactly a great starting point. I also love the use of fabric and wood finish--more of us should be stealing that look ASAP.

The wireless bluetooth pairing of speakers is genius, and I can't stop thinking about it. If only there were devices that didn't apply EQ and DSP along the way.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                  I love the idea of stealing the wireless bluetooth stereo. But I'm very concerned that there is a pre-applied EQ curve and/or DSP on the earbuds, not exactly a great starting point. I also love the use of fabric and wood finish--more of us should be stealing that look ASAP.

The wireless bluetooth pairing of speakers is genius, and I can't stop thinking about it. If only there were devices that didn't apply EQ and DSP along the way.
                  that is a relavant concern, which maybe most who watch his videos wouldnt think about. I do like how some of these class d boards are coming out with the TWS tech to do basically the same thing via wireless speaker setups.

I've been recently looking at incorporating PLA into my wood builds (like others) and thought on a few occassions to put some canvas into a build, but never actually did it. So many options today with the CNC's, laser cutters and 3d printers on how you can create or finish a build, make the mind run wild

Comment

Very cool video and idea indeed! I have since watched many of this guy's project videos and they all seem to be top notch.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    I also love the use of fabric and wood finish--more of us should be stealing that look ASAP.
                    Challenge accepted! I've been working on a sub design to go with my Swope HT's and have wanted to incorporate a grill to cover the driver. I think this combo will fit the bill nicely!

Comment

Working...
                    X