Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dayton DSP Amps - DSPB & KAB - Feedback Requested . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DSP Amps - DSPB & KAB - Feedback Requested . . . .

I'd like to get my feet wet using DSP amps in place of passive XO for low volume level listening in near field for a pair of 3-way speakers.

If you have experience with the subject product line I would like to hear from you.

I'd like to assemble a single amplifier enclosure containing the following:

(#1) 2 of these for the woofers --> https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...135?quantity=1

(#2) 2 of these for the Mids and Tweets --> https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...105?quantity=1

OR these [instead of those in item #2, above] as they have better specs but unsure of their compatibility with item #1 ^ above --> https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...505?quantity=1

(#3) Power supply --> https://www.parts-express.com/Mean-W...167?quantity=1

Speakers to be employed are as follows:

o Denovo Anarchy 704 woofers in ported 13 Liter cabinets --> https://ampslab.com/blog/2020/11/19/anarchy704/
    Port dimensions = 1.5" ID diameter, Length = 3.75" nominal

o SBA SB12PFC25-4 Coaxial as Mid/Tweet in 0.8 Liter sealed and fully stuffed enclosure -->

I have no idea what the resolution of these DSPB/KAB are nor how they sound concerning the DAC/ADC.

Considering I can put this together for around $150 per speaker cabinet and experiment it might be worth it as the next option is the Hypex 123 DSP amps at $550 per speaker . . . :P

Any feedback from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Best!

Steve.

Last edited by Chris_Perez; 05-12-2021, 11:28 AM. Reason: Removed direct link to competitor's website.

You know that realistically the primary market for these things is Kiosks, marketing stands, interactive information screens, gaming machines etc....NOT hifi (in true definition of hi fi)....

Going into it with eyes wide open, knowing what to expect, and having low expectations = fantastic, have at it!

Comment

Thanks, DeZZar - I hadn't really thought about it that way but was seriously concerned about the sound quality so, I think I will look elsewhere but MAN - the price . . .

Comment

I got the wondom equivalent of that 2*50 with the built in DSP direct..and they are identical boards regardless of series..same with those battery charging boards.

I think they are cheaper are slightly cheaper as well..haven't used it yet as I went that DA mono 60w bt amp for my phantom clone, coupled with the wondom LBB equivalent which was purely because the batter board for the 2*50 in both DA and Wondom didn't have the charging part required.

First impression is the 1*60.and my 230v2 is pretty.solid

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
          Thanks, DeZZar - I hadn't really thought about it that way but was seriously concerned about the sound quality so, I think I will look elsewhere but MAN - the price . . .
          ​​​​​​Based your other posts man I just can't imagine you would be happy with the final result here. Really nice drivers and a fantastic woofer that can take a boat load of power (double the excursion capabilities of most standard 6.5 midwoofers) and stay really well behaved - a real waste IMO to pair it up with some nasty class-d toy amp (unless you're just going for some computer speakers, or something for the garage...?)

I've been wanting to come up with a design for the coaxials from SB for a while now too but just haven't landed one I'm happy with yet - it's the tweeter extension that puts me off a little each time.

I'd really love to see you run with the anarchy woofer and pair it up with an SB29 tweeter instead for a killer two way floor stander...

Comment

I think they would make fantastic mid-range HiFi active near fields, with good filter setup using measurements and what not I'm sure I could compete with your garden variety active studio monitors at much higher costs (think <$1000 for the pair monitors).

For that Anarchy woofer though... you'll need at least a 2" port, if you use a precision port flare, maybe 2.5 or 3" without flares, those things move some air.
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music
            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

The main "problem" with that design is that the ADC and DAC of the ADAU1701 is not very good. Not terrible, but not good either. Withe a separete DSP you could use a different DAC and or ADC.

Still, with those dsp+amps and a properly designed speaker, i think you will have a very nice sounding setup (most active speakers under USD$300 use same/worse dsp+amps)

Comment

I have used the KAB and DSPB boards and I found the to be OK for an inexpensive speaker. I find the amps a bit harsh sounding though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post

​​​​​​Based your other posts man I just can't imagine you would be happy with the final result here. Really nice drivers and a fantastic woofer that can take a boat load of power (double the excursion capabilities of most standard 6.5 midwoofers) and stay really well behaved - a real waste IMO to pair it up with some nasty class-d toy amp (unless you're just going for some computer speakers, or something for the garage...?)

I've been wanting to come up with a design for the coaxials from SB for a while now too but just haven't landed one I'm happy with yet - it's the tweeter extension that puts me off a little each time.

I'd really love to see you run with the anarchy woofer and pair it up with an SB29 tweeter instead for a killer two way floor stander...
                  I have a pair of SB26STCN-C000-4 http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...00--%20pdf.jpg sitting on a shelf in the boxes which have a higher Fs but greater power handling and are flatter than those SB28's available . . . maybe those could go into these SEOS-8 wave guides in the same cabinet with the Anarchy 704's?

I was really wanting to do a 3 way DSP amp but looks like after all my research I'll have to go old school and go passive . . . and drive them with a Crown AB amp . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin Joe View Post
                    I have used the KAB and DSPB boards and I found the to be OK for an inexpensive speaker. I find the amps a bit harsh sounding though.
                    Yeah, the 100W KAB boards are rated at 100W @ 2 Ohms and 10 % THD so they are not very clean at all.

Comment

After a lot of research and consideration this whole single speaker DSP - 3 way/ amp thing is NOT affordable and probably pointless for my needs/desires.

MY PE project lists have been emptied and will move-on . . .

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback, guys.

Comment

I have a pair of SB26STCN-C000-4 http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...00--%20pdf.jpg sitting on a shelf in the boxes which have a higher Fs but greater power handling and are flatter than those SB28's available . . . maybe those could go into these SEOS-8 wave guides in the same cabinet with the Anarchy 704's?
                        I think these would be a great matchup. I don't have much to add on the waveguide but this tweeter is nice and flat. It wont cross as low as the 29's but that being said the Anarchy woofer looks nice all the way up to 3K so integration between these two should be a breeze. 2nd order rolling off from 2K with maybe a little tank pulling that 4k peak down on the woofer - mmmmm nice.....tempted to grab some of these woofers myself.

Comment

Yeah, the 100W KAB boards are rated at 100W @ 2 Ohms and 10 % THD so they are not very clean at all.
                          They're not clean at the 100 watt level because the chip manufacturer (TI) chose to publish power ratings at a 10% THD level instead of the more commonly accepted 1% or .1% THD level. THD plots for most Class D amps are similar to AB amps in that they tend to be very clean right up to a certain point, after which THD skyrockets. As long as you use the Class D amps within that linear range, they are fine, and in fact, some Class D amps measure significantly better than well regarded AB topologies, often showing THD levels down near the bottom of what most test equipment can measure. Check out some of Amir's tests at Audio Science Review and you'll see that his best performing amplifier tests have been Class D typologies. I'm not sure that the TPA3116 chip is responsible for any of those class-leading THD numbers, but it's still a competent chip, and when implemented properly, will sound very good. I have a few of them and I think that they're fantastic for what they cost, and especially for the tiny form factor.

Comment

Jim, I checked out the specs on the class D boards from Sure and you are right - they are very clean up to about 2/3'rds volume and then turn dirty.

So, I decided to get the 100W X 6 channel amp and the Dayton DSP line level units to make (2) 3 way speakers . . . This should speed up designing passive XO's and let me experiment more with the closet FULL of drivers I bought at the onset of this Covid thing knowing that the supply chain would drain and prices would rise.

More later - thanks for the tip.

Comment

Look at the specs for this board --> https://store.sure-electronics.com/product/AA-AB35281

I had to buy a pair . . . 3 Ohm compatible . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X