Not happy with Dayton HiFly App..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not happy with Dayton HiFly App..

So, I ordered a couple of Dayton WBA31 WiFi and bluetooth audio receivers to wire around the house for a few extra audio zones. I plug the unit it, download the HiFly app, and the first thing it does is ask to access all my contacts in order to install the app. Umm, no. Period. But it still installs. Next, it asks to access my music apps and such. Ok, I guess that's what I'm using it for, so sure. Next, in order to set up a device, it wants to access my location. Why?? Well, if you don't allow it, it simply won't allow you to setup the device. Click "deny" a couple of times and it comes up with a frowny face and the following message:

"App collecting your location information is to ensure the normal use of this app and associated function. your information will be kept confidential. if you are sill impeach of it, feel free to contact us please. On the next screen, you can press "allow" to access to your device." [first letter of each sentence intentionally left lower case, as that's how it appears in the app]

Hmm. Either this wasn't written and programmed by a native english speaker (most probable) or the technical writer is really horrible at their job and ought to be canned. My bet is the first answer, in which case it was most likely farmed out to some Chinese outfit that now wants access to my contact information, music info (less of a big deal), and my location information every time I use the device. HECK NO!! Ever hear of TikTok and all THAT crap that collect pretty much every bit of information they can data mine from your phone?

I mean, I get it - we've been stripped of every shred of privacy that we could possibly have already, but just let me use the gosh danged app in my own home without stealing all of that information! I just wanna stream some music for crying out loud! WHY IN THE WORLD TO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE I AM AT IN ORDER TO PUSH MUSIC FROM MY PHONE TO SOME SPEAKERS TEN FEET ACROSS THE ROOM??!?! REALLY DAYTON?!? C'MON!!

Google is evil.

Comment

Amazing.
      Francis

Comment

My Spark guitar amp is the same way. I need to turn my GPS on for it to connect so I can control the amp. So stupid.

Comment

For shame. Maria162768 would never have left spam.
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Blenton View Post
            So, I ordered a couple of Dayton WBA31 WiFi and bluetooth audio receivers to wire around the house for a few extra audio zones. I plug the unit it, download the HiFly app, and the first thing it does is ask to access all my contacts in order to install the app. Umm, no. Period. But it still installs. Next, it asks to access my music apps and such. Ok, I guess that's what I'm using it for, so sure. Next, in order to set up a device, it wants to access my location. Why?? Well, if you don't allow it, it simply won't allow you to setup the device. Click "deny" a couple of times and it comes up with a frowny face and the following message:

"App collecting your location information is to ensure the normal use of this app and associated function. your information will be kept confidential. if you are sill impeach of it, feel free to contact us please. On the next screen, you can press "allow" to access to your device." [first letter of each sentence intentionally left lower case, as that's how it appears in the app]

Hmm. Either this wasn't written and programmed by a native english speaker (most probable) or the technical writer is really horrible at their job and ought to be canned. My bet is the first answer, in which case it was most likely farmed out to some Chinese outfit that now wants access to my contact information, music info (less of a big deal), and my location information every time I use the device. HECK NO!! Ever hear of TikTok and all THAT crap that collect pretty much every bit of information they can data mine from your phone?

I mean, I get it - we've been stripped of every shred of privacy that we could possibly have already, but just let me use the gosh danged app in my own home without stealing all of that information! I just wanna stream some music for crying out loud! WHY IN THE WORLD TO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE I AM AT IN ORDER TO PUSH MUSIC FROM MY PHONE TO SOME SPEAKERS TEN FEET ACROSS THE ROOM??!?! REALLY DAYTON?!? C'MON!!
            Yikes. You are right, we have no privacy any longer. All these virtual tentacles digging into every orifice we have. Standard Bluetooh devices should be fine. That's all I use.

Comment

I'm guessing that the pricing structure counts on being able to sell your data.
              Francis

Comment

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                Anyone buying my data gets cheated.

Originally posted by AcidWash View Post

Yikes. You are right, we have no privacy any longer. All these virtual tentacles digging into every orifice we have. Standard Bluetooh devices should be fine. That's all I use.
              I don’t care much for Bluetooth. It works well enough in my truck where there’s plenty of road noise but haven’t found many satisfactory BT setups. Bandwidth is too low for lossless audio. Plenty of bandwidth on a WiFi connection though.

Also, I like to integration of a setup like the Dayton where I can control my kids speakers from the other room by turning them down, skipping tracks, streaming audio books or music from my device to their room without needing to be in the room, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X