HiVi B3N Notch Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiVi B3N Notch Filter

I searched (maybe not well enough) for a simple notch filter for the HiVi B3N. I noticed a lot of people referenced the "Zaph" version, but that's not specifically for the B3N plus it's not really what I'd call "simple".

I could probably run them as-is and not be too bad off for my project, but I'd like something that gives them a bit more BSC.

It's a neat little speaker...not sure why there's not more of a well-known way to tame them (or maybe there is and I couldn't find it). No need to re-invent the wheel if something like this already exists.

Edit: Plus, after checking, every other 3"-ish full range speaker seems to be on back order right now.

Zaph's filter is only 5 components. How much simpler are you looking for?

Comment

The N and the S versions of the B3 are identical except for the frame style AFAIK. I used the round frame with zaphs filter and it sounds pretty good. You could add the BSC (2 components) and omit the notch, but that spike at 8k could get grating after a while. I think if you are going to bother might as well do it right. The small coil in the notch is the cheaper one anyway

Comment

Out-of-the-box, the B3N is hard to live with. Zaph's 5 part filter is about as simple as you can go to make it sound good, and it still has issues as a 3" driver. Good luck.

Comment

The AURA NS3 (or Dayton ND90-8) CAN be run filterless, but some BSC is welcome. They can do about 50Hz in a vented 0.15cf box, and have plenty of Xmax to make 50 worth your while.

Comment

The problem I have with the Aura NS3 is that every unit I have tested ( 5 ) in the past 2 years has a 10db peak at around 7 K Hertz. I think Chris's Pico Neos sound good for their size overall, but I'm still bothered knowing that the big peak is there. I have tried a couple of recommended notch filters with the NS3, but they were not able to substantialy reduce the 7K peak. I think there may be something inherent in the driver resonance such that if you are asking it to produce sound at 5K or above at all, the 7K peak gets manifest. I was only able to tame it significantly by using it as a woofer in a small 2 way and rolling it off steeply at 3.5K.
            Not trying to be too critical overall of the NS3. It has amazing bass for its size and can sound nice in a small cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              The AURA NS3 (or Dayton ND90-8) CAN be run filterless, but some BSC is welcome. They can do about 50Hz in a vented 0.15cf box, and have plenty of Xmax to make 50 worth your while.

When making this thread, this driver (ND90-8) was my "benchmark" as to what a simple notch filter should be. The Carmody sprite uses this driver with 2 parts in the filter (which I have built and it sounds fantastic for what it is).

Unfortunately though, PE is out of them (both ND90-4 and ND90-8) and I need something sooner rather than later.

I love the looks of the B3N but if it's a pain to work with or requires an enclosure that's larger than I want it to be, I may pass on it.

Comment

• jim85iroc
                jim85iroc commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't pass on it just because the filter requires a couple more components. It's still a dead simple filter that you can wire up easily, and because it's all in-line, you can just connect it to the + terminal of the binding post or the driver terminal. Twist L1 & R2 together & solder, then to the same with the 3 notch components. Solder the notch assembly to the BSC assembly, and then twist & solder it to the speaker wire & the binding post. It'll take longer for your soldering iron to heat up than to actually do the soldering.

The Dayton DW3-1053SC priced at $21.49 and Tang Band W3-881SJF at $30.03 are both in stock at PE and each have a relatively flat frequency response. A TQWT or TABAQ enclosure design could be used to squeeze a little more bass. I believe that the 1053's were used in a simple user design named Minions.

Comment

I built a pair of 3L speakers using the Dayton DW3-1053SC and BSC circuit very similar to the Zaph HiVi B3N in post 7 above. They were a significant step up overall from the Minions, unfiltered B3Ns and Aura NS3s Ihad built. If you can afford them I highly recommend them. They are the nicest overall small single driver speaker I've built.

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
                  The Dayton DW3-1053SC priced at $21.49 and Tang Band W3-881SJF at $30.03 are both in stock at PE and each have a relatively flat frequency response. A TQWT or TABAQ enclosure design could be used to squeeze a little more bass. I believe that the 1053's were used in a simple user design named Minions.

Is that (DW3-1053SC) any better of a driver than a PS95-8 3-1/2"? About the same price, but the PS95-8 is arguably better looking and both seem to go about as deep in a vented enclosure. Says they will be in stock "any day now".

Plus, parts express already has a filter spec for these, essentially (copperhead kit).

Comment

The B3N has issues that go beyond break up. It's low end distortion makes it almost unusable on full range applications.
                    Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                    2-2.5 Way:
                    Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                    3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Not to mention the full BSC applied to the B3N in the full range design allows it to overexcurse before enough output is achieved.

My 2c,
                      w3-1053; simple LCR and nice and easy response. Look for brianpowers design here on PE, or the minions by Leroy R.
                      TB w3-593 silver paper; stunning sound, same driver different frame as W3-871. LCR filters are out there.
                      HiVi M3N; best 3" FR speaker I've built called Dragon Foals. Better and less hindered than B3 design, and can kick like a mule if asked. Vocals are excellent.

I did not get a spike as large as described on the Auras I used in my PC build. IMO, really should have a tweeter, but a good first project.

later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Dayton PC83-4 also sounds very good!
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                        X