Semi-open air Subwoofer for Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-open air Subwoofer for Corvette

OK, so I built a sub using some close-out 4"' x 6" subs that came from a soundbar https://www.parts-express.com/4-x-6-...Magnet-299-714 . I used two of them with an MDF plate to fit in the storage bin in the back of my c6 corvette. They actually worked very well until i had a new head unit installed by a local shop and the young tech decided to test the xmax of the sub. His "testing" fried the sub(s) and now they "clack"at any reasonable volume. I really liked them because they added nice articulate bass to augment the Focal 6" midbass and inverted dome tweets in the doors. Also, they took up none of the limited cargo space in the back of the car. They had a nice high Q which allowed for semi-open air mounting with reasonable performance. I used gasket tape to "seal" the MDF against the lip of the storage compartment which was approximately .75 cu ft. Of course, it is a leaky space so, a relatively high Q subwoofer is preferred. The mounting board is roughly 8" x 11", so I can fit a 6.5", maybe an 8", a 10" sub would be too big, I am sure. I am not too picky on price even though I paid less than $4 each for the originals. Oh yeah, I did paint the MDF black after the pics. Any suggestions to fit these parameters? Thanks guys.
    Attached Files

I think someONE bought the last bunch of them all at once if memory serves, but if you put a feeler out on the classified forum here, maybe someone has a pair they'd sell you. That would be the easiest solution.

Hardtop Vette right? How much of the bass gets into the cabin? And did the output drop much with the top off?

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• kjdd
      kjdd commented
      Editing a comment
      Hardtop Vette, yes. With the targa top off, and driving at any rate of speed, you would have to have the volume terribly high to hear anything from the music. My hearing is bad enough that I try to be careful about turning it up too loud. With the top in place, the bass was good fill, but not boom boom. As I don't listen to hip hop, don't need to shake the whole car. In the coupe, the opening to the storage area is quite large, like from the roof to mid seat back, so there is nothing in the way of the sound waves getting to the passenger compartment.

I think that you are correct that "someone" purchased the last 1,000 or so of those buyouts. I bought 4 (made a nice small home sub with the other two) and went back like two days later and the last 1,000 units were gone.

Tom - Maybe unrelated experience, but... I have a hardtop convertible (a Lexus IS250) with under seat mounted subs. There really isn't anywhere else to put a sub in that car unless you are willing to ditch the spare tire (which I'm not willing to do and even if I was, causes another problem described next). There is more than enough bass with the top up. With the top down, it's OK at best,

I did try a mock-up of a sub in the trunk (in the spare tire cavity) and it worked better than I expected with the top up but really badly with the top down. I guess the leakage path of sound to the "outside" was so much better than the path to inside the car. Just my theory. I have concluded that the most consistent sound possible in a convertible is with drivers placed close to the listener.

Comment

I was never overly impressed with the bass that I got from "IB" style installations in coupes. They're ok-ish in sedans when you can utilize the whole trunk space as the "enclosure" volume, but stuffing a high q driver on a baffle that ends up with a tiny enclosure volume in a storage compartment is a different thing entirely. I'd be much more inclined to try a high mass, low VAS woofer design, which fortunately, there's no shortage of. Some of the small Tangband subs might be perfect for this sort of application. Cabin gain in a Corvette should be high enough that stuffing one or 2 of those Tangbands onto an MDF baffle like you did with those 4x6s should give some reasonably impressive low bass.

Comment

• kjdd
        kjdd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jim, I'll take some measurements and see what might work.

I wondered because I can't remember how large the path is from the trunk to the main cabin in the hardtop. On the convertible, the bass is in the front doors 4 feet from my ears, and it of course sounds best with the top up, but with the top down it still sounds pretty powerful as long as the side windows are up. Put them down, however, and all the bass just kind of goes away. Even in the garage not moving.

I never understood the idea of putting subwoofers in the trunk of a sedan for instance, and getting lots of bass in the cabin, but folks do it and it works I guess. Bass is it's own animal and it likes to growl everywhere aparently.

Those buyouts though were pretty stout. I know they're not big, but two of them probably had some fairly serious excursion potential, they were Tang Band drivers I was told, and high excursion ones at that.

I agree with Iroc man if the originals are no longer 'buyable' the neo tang band 6.5" sub 1138 would be a decent way to move a lot of air in a small space. Even the 8" version if it fits may work out okay, but you would for sure run a 'cabin gain' sim to see if it would be worthwhile to go that route. I imagine you'd have to secure the plate to the car somehow with one of those pumping away... it might jump right out of the cubby! My car has two of those, (cubbies) one on either side, they're very handy for putting tools, air compressors, sunblock in, etc. I never thought to populate them with subwoofers, though. There is no pass-thru on the Vert, but for the coupe, it's pretty creative! Makes me wonder what 8 ND105's would do back there. It would be funny to see if nothing else.

TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

The original owner of the car had a 12" Punch sub in one of those boxes made to go behind the seat of a pickup truck. It was laid flat in the hatch portion, worked OK, but took up a lot of space back there. When I go on road trips, (it's a driver, not a garage queen) I like to have the whole back for my stuff. That's why I built the one pictured above. Truth be told, the one that I built held its own with the 12" Punch sub. I'm thinking that the 1138 Tangband might be my answer. I'll post again when I make a decision and replace the "clackers".

I don't post often, but do read the forum from time to time. I've built the D III (and later "re-fried" them with the upgraded RS 28 F tweeter, the Eros, an old 12" DVC home sub, a 15" Avalanche sub, Blueprint 10" car sub and did the Zilch upgraded crossover on a pair of Minimus 7s. Oh yeah, I have re-foamed two sets of EPI 100 speakers and added a new flush mount baffle to one pair with a new 10uf Cap. All those might tell you how long that I have been hanging out here in the shadows. It's a great hobby and this community is part of the appeal. Thanks, Tom, Lidar and Jim for your responses.

Comment

Trunk space Shmrunk space! What you need is something like this! I don't think having the top off or windows down would pose any issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	corvette_sub.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1469898

Comment

I decided to take the other two 4" x 6" drivers out of the home sub that I had built and put them into the car baffle. Did it on Sunday and the sub is working fine. May have to find a driver for the .7cu ft home sub box that is now without a driver(s). Moral of the story...don't let a young tech test your subwoofer wit music for which it was not designed...and, it's good to have spare drivers of the same type around.

Comment

Working...
            X