Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWR RYD
    replied
    You certainly can but the sound stage and imaging still suffer.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    You can just design for an upward-tilt as your design axis. It's not that hard to do.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Do you plan to be sitting on the floor when listening to these? It appears from your pictures that the tweeters won't be more than 0.5 meter above the floor.
    Yeah that's definitely a consideration. Was never targeting direct ear height on axis for the tweeter and if its just placed on the floor like this at the listening position the tweeter will be 5 degrees off axis vertically - woofer 2 degrees. Both well and truly within the off-axis range of the speaker.

However, I haven't ruled out the possibility of the outriggers also being a sort of mini stand either if a little more height is needed in the end product. Will simply experiment and see. The base plate and spikes would remain the same at least - just a question of what might sit between them. Another 100mm would put both tweeter and woofer inside 1.5 degrees - we'll see if that's necessary in the end.
    Last edited by DeZZar; 09-04-2021, 08:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Do you plan to be sitting on the floor when listening to these? It appears from your pictures that the tweeters won't be more than 0.5 meter above the floor.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Quick update on this build.

Got a couple of weeks off work so I'll be finishing up the polishing of the timber side panels next week and finally gluing them in place. In the meantime I've also started to prototype up the outriggers/feet for the speaker for machining later. Another handy use of a 3D printer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210904134144.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	1475617

Name:	IMG20210904114517.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	1475618

Name:	IMG20210904134738.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	1475619

Because these speakers were designed with a sort of nod to art-deco I'm not 100% sold on the shape of the spikes at the moment. They seem a little out of place I'm thinking about coming up with something a little more rounded to tie them into the rest of the speaker.

And there is a raging debate between the Mrs. and I as to whether I go polished stainless or brass for the feet. Brass would mean the base plate needs to be painted black. Polished stainless means the base plat and feet both get highly polished. I'm sort of sold either way - I'd like to see both but that's not really an option so have to make a decision soon!

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Chris. Not brilliant - just a guy enjoying his hobby! If only I had your experience to compliment!

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. The Sonus Faber Heritage collection provided some of the inspiration! Now just to get them sounding as good!

• Drummer
    replied
    This build is just flat out awesome. The leather work against the wood reminds me of a Rolls or Bentley interior, and the inner workings of the box is almost sad to be hidden. Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Yeah. This DeZZar guy seems kind of brilliant, to me ...

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    hahaha you are too kind sir!!

• ADwhat
    replied
    The good news is those speakers are amazing in design and execution. The better news is thst since Dezzar doesn't work for some defence contractor we are still alive. The bad news is since he doesn't do medical research the average human lifespan is not 150 years.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    commented on 's reply
    Marvellous work!

Geoff

• Steve Lee
    replied
    That looks fabulous.

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied
    Stunning!

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Quick little update on this project.

After sanding down one of the side panels per the post above I noticed when polishing there were little imperfections caused by some of the bubbles that brushing on varnish inevitably leaves behind. I obviously didn't sand down far enough but instead of cutting back further I decided I would instead spray on a couple of final coats before going ahead and sanding down the rest. (I'll respray the panel I already polished to fix it up) - the spray will obviously avoid the brush marks/bubbles problems of brushing.

Problem is we've just had generally bad winter weather here for the last two weeks so I haven't been able to lay down the final spray coats. Hopefully there will be an opportunity later this week so I can finally wrap this part of the build up.

In any case, I couldn't help squeezing the polished panel into place to see what it will finally look like. Here's a preview:
    ​​​​​​​

Name:	IMG20210715181340.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	706.3 KB
ID:	1473394

Leave a comment:

Working...
X