Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refinishing Statement Speakers - Adding Depth to Front Baffle - Will This Be An Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcl
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for providing feedback, Jim.

This was the info I was looking for (and hoping for) right from the man himself.

Thank you very much!

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by mcl View Post
    Many many years ago I built a set of Statement speakers.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements.html

Love em to death but I am getting tired of how they look and want to give them a facelift.

Currently, the front baffles are painted black and the sides are dark mahogany stain. That was kind of the in style back then. I would like to now do a nice wood front baffle and paint the sides and back white. More European looking which seems to be the new in thing. And, I like the look.

So, hear is my main question.

I can get a really nice sheet of 1/4" hardwood plywood. I was thinking of "veneering" the front baffle with the 1/4" and then trimming that in matching hardwood flush to the sides of the speakers. I would then do a round over or 45 chamfer in the hardwood edge.

I know I would have to recess the drivers into the new 1/4" veneer, which I am cool with doing. I am just nervous that adding that depth will negatively impact the speakers.

Would adding 1/4" depth to the front baffles negatively effect the acoustics of the speakers?

Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Adding a 1/4" won't hurt the sound quality at all.

HTH

Jim

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Example of high grade vinyl probably 3M.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl 1.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	1470445

Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl 2.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	1470446

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    In your redecorating efforts, I would suggest cleaning the surfaces without damaging those, and then cover the surfaces with vinyl wrap.

There are some nice wood grains available in the 3M Di-Noc product line. The plain white should be easy enough to find.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3m+d...grain&tbm=isch

When your decorating tastes change, you can change the vinyl wrap again or revert to what you had.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    How deep are they? I figure not more than 18", right?
    Set the fence to the far left, and lay the cab on its side and run it through. Flip, and run the next 3 sides perpendicular to the baffle. Obviously the baffle is wider than the blade cut, so you need 2 passes, but 4" is usually not of concern.

I'm just inquiring further because sometimes the mental picture is not the actual procedure.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• mcl
    commented on 's reply
    Unfortunately, my table saw is no where near big enough to cut 1/4" off the current baffle.

• mcl
    replied
    Yeah. I am going to have to weigh up the effort and if it is worth it or not. I agree there are some cool veneers out there. Just wanted to see what my options were with the possibility of using the 1/4" on hand.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    If able, you could slice 1/4" thickness off by using the table saw and 2 passes, one on each side. This preserves the depth, and apply plywood, rebate, and done.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    You'll have to weigh the extra work involved with your friends wood source against the cost of a sheet of veneer. 1/4" more baffle thickness won't hurt anything, I would just veneer it myself. I'm sure you could find equal or better visuals to your friends plywood in the vast veneer world.

• mcl
    replied
    I was going to cut out "rings" and insert them into the current speaker flange rabbits.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    The RS225 flange is about 1/4 inch thick so what's going to be under the 1/4 inch veneer at the driver cut outs?

Leave a comment:

• mcl
    replied
    Basccially because I have a ready source of some really cool looking 1/4" plywood.

My original plan was to veneer with 10mil. But, then a buddy of mine turned me on to this source of 1/4" hardwood ply that is pretty neat and readily available.

So, I just wanted to see if this was doable or a really bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Why not just a piece of regular thin veneer? Shim the speakers out to flush with the added 1/32" or so of thickness. Do your edge treatment, done.

Leave a comment:

• mcl
    replied
    The current drivers are flush mount and I would keep them flush mount if / when I add the 1/4" plywood.

My main concern is the new "depth" of the baffle and if it will introduce any sort of "tunneling" effect with the drivers? I thought I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the driver cutouts in some baffles because the thickness of the baffle can hinder the speaker's breathing / resonance / acoustics?

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Assuming the drivers are surface mounted now adding a 1/4" layer that in effect makes them flush mounted won't hurt, and may help. As I recall Acoustic Research speakers, or maybe it was Advent, did essentially the same thing, but the 1/4" layer was also the grille cloth frame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X