Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlr
    replied
    As has been mentioned, my WinPCD program is an app that originally mimiced PCD, but it has been expanded. There is a separate window you can bring up that shows the schematics and on which you can directly manipulate the component values. You can also print the schematic if you desire. I have some significant additions coming for it, not yet ready to publish. The basics follow the pattern of the PCD. It should be able to import at PCD session file. I think I broke that in an earlier version, don't recall if the latest one at my site will do the import, but the upcoming update should fix that. I'll double check it. There are also some help files strategically located for some functions. I'm adding more of them as well in the new version.

dlr

Leave a comment:

• Jicafold
    replied
    DeZZar....thanks for that. I suppose that is kind of like the XSim approach.

Leave a comment:

• Jicafold
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    I don't think PCD will make a parts list.
    It "kind of" shows you a schematic, but not nearly as clearly as Xsim or VituixCAD.
    Also, if you find PCD in Excel to be cumbersome, you can find a non-Excel version called WinPCD at David Ralph's speakerdesign.net website.

In PCD the crossover components will be labeled R1, R2, R3...C1, C2, C3...L1, L2, L3...etc.
    You can click on the "View PCD Circuit Layouts" button and will get a very general layout that you can view or print. You can match up the components that are relevant to your design and just ignore the rest. An example below is just the woofer circuit with a 2nd order crossover that includes L2 and C2.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	1470831

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	1470830
    Yes, I know this from watching the series. However, I was hoping there was a function that says "Now that you are done, here is what it looks like". And click that button rather than having to draw with a virtual crayon. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Getting started with VituixCAD:

1) Setup the drivers for your system:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Drivers.PNG Views:	0 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	1470837

2) Setup the crossover:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Circuit.PNG Views:	0 Size:	221.5 KB ID:	1470835

Click image for larger version  Name:	Editing.PNG Views:	0 Size:	295.2 KB ID:	1470836

3) Results
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Graphs.PNG Views:	0 Size:	383.9 KB ID:	1470838

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/V...D_help_20.html

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    In PCD, there is a sheet that shows the location of all of the caps, coils, and resistors. ie L2. C3, etc. It shows even the ones that you are not using. It doesn't show the values you have selected, but you can see how the parts are arranged. After a fair amount of practice, you might only seldom need to look at this information. I draw out a schematic on paper if needed.

See above post!

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    I don't think PCD will make a parts list.
    It "kind of" shows you a schematic, but not nearly as clearly as Xsim or VituixCAD.
    Also, if you find PCD in Excel to be cumbersome, you can find a non-Excel version called WinPCD at David Ralph's speakerdesign.net website.

In PCD the crossover components will be labeled R1, R2, R3...C1, C2, C3...L1, L2, L3...etc.
    You can click on the "View PCD Circuit Layouts" button and will get a very general layout that you can view or print. You can match up the components that are relevant to your design and just ignore the rest. An example below is just the woofer circuit with a 2nd order crossover that includes L2 and C2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1470831

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	273
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	1470830

Leave a comment:

• Jicafold
    replied
    I was able to download the original VituixCAD here so I'll give that a try. Of course it immediately asked me to use the newer updated version not covered by Kirby.

https://vituixcad.software.informer.com/download/

Leave a comment:

• Jicafold
    replied
    The problem with Video #1 about XSim is that guy is off and running in the first minute without explaining anything he's doing, what it is, or why. No explanation about FDA, ZMA, polarity, baffle steps. Nada, which he already glossed over in a minute and a half. So I had to learn that elsewhere. That's why I referred to the videos regarding Passive Crossover Designer as user friendly. He explains things. Additionally, use of the Vituix software is clearly explained on Video #2 you mentioned as well. I saw that whole series already. Problem is, he must be using a different version of Vituix (and his screen says VituixCAD), where it lets you select you number of drivers....which I don't see on VituixCAD2....the current version. So I don't know how to get started with that. Accordingly I was at least able to use and input data into Passive Crossover Design. That was my only choice. I'd like to use VituixCAD2 if I can see how to get started in it. XSim is not presented in a logical forthright manner.

Regarding XSim....I didn't think this guy did much better:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJjeK4rKNM

So I followed this series on Passive Crossover Design:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6tsj9Tpqs

​​​​​​
    These are my personal opinions.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jicafold View Post
    Mainly because it seemed more friendly that X-Sim and Vituix

Well each to their own I guess. I know there are a few fans of this spreadsheet here but as a software design professional I wouldn't tend to call it user friendly.

Xsim is pretty simple and there are several crossover design tutorials from the usual speaker diy suspects on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/Ccqij1DZafs https://youtu.be/xoJjeK4rKNM
    https://youtu.be/kJqvjjyHqqA

Vituix is just a more advanced xsim and my personal go to.

Leave a comment:

• Jicafold
    started a topic Tips with using Passive Crossover Designer

Tips with using Passive Crossover Designer

So I was starting to teach myself how to build a crossover and was using Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer. Mainly because it seemed more friendly that X-Sim and Vituix. I didn't even look at others. I followed the Youtube series. However, upon completion is there a way for it to show you a completed schematic, or do you have to make that from scratch as shown in the video? Secondly, can it make you a parts list like Vituix apparently does? Should I consider different software? Thank you.
Working...
X