Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

titanium voice-coil, is it not an error in the marketing blather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEIOU
    replied
    Usually when they mention a certain type of voice coil they are referring the the actual bobbin, the former. Titanium would be very good because it is lightweight, has high strength and excellent thermal performance. There is a reason why the SR-71 was made from titanium.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Probably a titanium former. Marketing material is often written by the ignorant for the brainless. Magico wouldn't be alone there, but like Bill implies I'm not sure they really care, either.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    The electric conductivity (10.E6 Siemens/m) of copper is 58.7, second only to silver at 62.1. The electrical conductivity of titanium is 2.1. That makes titanium totally unsuited for use as a voice coil material. I wouldn't put much stock in anything that Magico claims, being one of those companies that caters to those with more money than grey matter.

Leave a comment:

• titanium voice-coil, is it not an error in the marketing blather?

I was reading a review of the Magico A5, and it mentioned that the midrange and woofers use titanium voice-coils with copper pole caps. I thought that had to be a mistake, because titanium exhibits such poor electrical conductivity that while it might be utilized in the structure of the voice-coil former, titanium wire does not seem a good choice of material in the voice-coil. So I looked at Magico's marketing webpage for the A5 and it likewise mentions use of a titanium voice-coil.

Opinion?

https://www.magicoaudio.com/indexa5

Working...
X