Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarylS
    replied
    The listening room area is 9 x 12..hard floors...there is an area rug and upholstered couch in room.
    i have the speakers about 5 ft apart and 6 inches from wall.
    Thank you for your replies and questions.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    I'll be "that guy" and note the elephant in the room. You'll probably want to measure the speakers, especially if you replace the tweeters. Often the crossover needs changing unless you're lucky enough to find some driver identical to the originals.

Leave a comment:

• DarylS
    replied
    I bought an inexpensive digital multifunction multimeter....there is a capacitance setting. I removed the capacitors from the board....held the leads on the resistor to discharge them. They tested within the uf's stated rating on the cap's.
    i have owned these speakers since 1990. Remember them sounding crisper years ago.
    I have some recently purchased Dayton Audio speakers with AMT tweeters, and they sound crisp.
    Running the Mirage with a Denon AVR X3500H.
    .7.2 channel 215W.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    It wouldn't hurt to replace 30 yo NPE caps. The resistors are cheap. Mundorf would be overkill for me, but that's me.

Curious, how did you check the caps with a multimeter?

Are these speakers new to you or have you owned them for some time?

What do you power these with? What's your listening environment? How are your ears?

Leave a comment:

• DarylS
    replied
    Here is the crossover i removed from the Mirage M760.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DarylS
    replied
    There are 2 ceramic resistors....10W 1 ohm and 10W 1.4 ohm.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by DarylS View Post
    Hi this is my very first post.
    I am restoring a 30 year old pair of Mirage M760 towers. They sound a bit dull after all this time and wondered if any ideas how to bring back life into these speakers.
    They have a Vifa tweeter 6 ohm label is D25TG-65. Any suggestions for a replacement..just under 3" cutout and just over 4" overall diameter.
    I have also removed the crossover and tested the capacitors....they test ok on a multimeter. But I ordered new Mundorf caps of same uf's..thinking over this long may be not working optimally.
    Any other suggestions??
    What about the padding resistor(s)? The tweeters might be OK. My current speakers use a 40 year old pair of Morel tweeters, and I still like them.
    Other x-over changes could alter the sound too. Location in the room plays a role here.

Leave a comment:

• DarylS
    started a topic Vifa tweeter replacement

Vifa tweeter replacement

Hi this is my very first post.
    I am restoring a 30 year old pair of Mirage M760 towers. They sound a bit dull after all this time and wondered if any ideas how to bring back life into these speakers.
    They have a Vifa tweeter 6 ohm label is D25TG-65. Any suggestions for a replacement..just under 3" cutout and just over 4" overall diameter.
    I have also removed the crossover and tested the capacitors....they test ok on a multimeter. But I ordered new Mundorf caps of same uf's..thinking over this long may be not working optimally.
    Any other suggestions??
Working...
X