Technical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evyn View Post
    So you're saying that the amp tuning doesn't have a direct connection with the enclosure port tuning?
    You don't tune an amp. If the amp has an adjustable high pass you would set that to prevent driver over-excursion based on your speaker software modeling results.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      You don't tune an amp. If the amp has an adjustable high pass you would set that to prevent driver over-excursion based on your speaker software modeling results.
      The Subwoofer online specs for 1512 digital Designs claims 41.72. What is the conclusion based on the specs?

Comment

Fs in and of itself means very little. To find out its capabilities you need to use speaker modeling software, like WinISD, plugging in all of the specs. Even without doing so judging by all of the specs I'd say it's not worth $360. At most maybe half that.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

So you're saying that the amp tuning doesn't have a direct connection with the enclosure port tuning?
          Yes. That has been stated several times now in this thread. I'll say it again...what FB tuning frequency you design for your subwoofer has NOTHING to do with the amplifier.

The dial on your amp is a Low pass filter, that is, all frequencies BELOW what that dial is set to will be sent to the subwoofer.

Tune your subwoofer fb for optimal performance (balancing extension, excursion and dynamics).

Use the dial on the amp to blend the subwoofer with your other speakers.

Comment

Isn’t every question on the technical talk forum a “technical question”?
            Last edited by Jicafold; 06-23-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post

Yes. That has been stated several times now in this thread. I'll say it again...what FB tuning frequency you design for your subwoofer has NOTHING to do with the amplifier.

The dial on your amp is a Low pass filter, that is, all frequencies BELOW what that dial is set to will be sent to the subwoofer.

Tune your subwoofer fb for optimal performance (balancing extension, excursion and dynamics).

Use the dial on the amp to blend the subwoofer with your other speakers.
              Just clarifying, now I know more! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jicafold View Post
                Isn’t every question on the technical talk forum a “technical question”?
                A lure for answers?

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                  Fs in and of itself means very little. To find out its capabilities you need to use speaker modeling software, like WinISD, plugging in all of the specs. Even without doing so judging by all of the specs I'd say it's not worth $360. At most maybe half that.
                  Thanks! It's Super Charged so maybe that'll help?

Comment

Thanks! It's Super Charged so maybe that'll help?
                    How much boost is it running? Do you have to retard the timing at full boost?
                    Francis

Comment

• fpitas
                      fpitas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's been a while since I designed a speaker. So much has changed!!! T/S specs might be for the Turbo Supercharger now, for all I know...

• mattk
                      mattk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or the Turbo Encabulator

• fpitas
                      fpitas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In any event, this is obviously the latest in high-end equipment. I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on supercharged speakers.

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

How much boost is it running? Do you have to retard the timing at full boost?
                    Would you upload a picture of those T/S specs? I seen a video of a supercharged 1508 in a custom box. The supercharger looks to actually push the extension of the Sub?
                    Idk here is the 1508 supercharged looks incredible in this video: https://youtu.be/08lWj6VYlgg

I'm not sure about the full boost timing, that maybe because of the added extension.

Wouldn't buy anything besides Digital Designs. The T/S would only benefit me to navigate the DD inventory.

I think it's clear after watching this supercharged 1508 that digital designs is another level besides T/S spectrum.

Comment

Would you upload a picture of those T/S specs? I seen a video of a supercharged 1508 in a custom box. The supercharger looks to actually push the extension of the Sub?
                      Idk here is the 1508 supercharged looks incredible in this video: https://youtu.be/08lWj6VYlgg

I'm not sure about the full boost timing, that maybe because of the added extension.

Wouldn't buy anything besides Digital Designs. The T/S would only benefit me to navigate the DD inventory.

I think it's clear after watching this supercharged 1508 that digital designs is another level besides T/S spectrum.
                      Not at all sure if serious...
                      Francis

Comment

As I said, my design skills are too old-fashioned to understand supercharged speaker drivers. I'll leave that to the younger generation.
                        Francis

Comment

Supercharged sounds almost as vaguely BS as the majority of Morel's or KEF's marketing literature.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            Supercharged sounds almost as vaguely BS as the majority of Morel's or KEF's marketing literature.
                            With Morel and Kef you're paying for and expect a more sophisticated form of BS.
                            Francis

Comment

They are messing with you. It's a joke.

Comment

• fpitas
                                fpitas commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I suspect the whole thread has been an odd and elaborate joke. It's just too perfect.
                            Working...
                            X