Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisn
    replied
    "the deal comes with 4 SB23MFCL45, so if I were to use a TMWW setup, would that help with the low sensitivity?"

You'd have to wire the woofers in parallel, which would match the mid better, but you'd need something like a pro amp to drive those in a 3 way due to the very low impedance. If you happen to have a capable amp though...

Just a thought, as woofer prices have increased lately, but 4 Dayton RS225's or a pair of RS270's (and others probably) are also less than a pair of MW19 and more suited to the under 200hz range.

Leave a comment:

• JamesTan
    commented on 's reply
    Vassilis-7- I actually quite agree with what you shared. But in this case it is really difficult to give up on a deal with 4 units of SB23MFCL45-4 at a price tag a lot lower than 1 pair of MW19P. Most likely I am going to cross pretty low around 200Hz so majority of the mid range will be taken care by the MW13P and with the SB23MFCL45-4 taking care only the low bass frequency.

Of course like what you shared, most likely I will be wondering how the wo24 will sound like after listening to the SB23MFCL45-4 for a while. I am hoping I will be really satisfied with the SB23MFCL45-4 setup and that will stop me from thinking of the wo24 :p .

• Vassilis-7-
    replied
    For many times in this hobby, bying bargains got my very good and cheap gear, but kept me away from my goals. Buy the best intended woofer for your cause (that you can afford), or save your coin to buy it.
    4 sb23mfcl will be good for many uses but not to pair them with satori mid. I would recommend you going with wo24 or if it is expensive for you, go for the mw19p, both will be better suited for the intended project and both will keep you company for many years

Leave a comment:

• JamesTan
    commented on 's reply
    tktran Thank you for sharing your experience. Actually the deal comes with 4 SB23MFCL45, so if I were to use a TMWW setup, would that help with the low sensitivity?

• JamesTan
    commented on 's reply
    DeZZar Thank you so much for the detail explanation and that clear up some of my doubts.

• tktran
    replied
    I’ve modelled the SB23MFCL and what I recall it’s a small subwoofer designed for small boxes. So low sensitivity but has higher x-max to make up for it.

Someone more experienced than me might make it work in an active system, but the low sensitivity precludes it as a passive 3 way, at least for me.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    There's really no question the MW19P would be the better woofer in terms of covering the 100-300Hz range (all the way to 1K actually). It has a significantly lower moving mass and higher sensitivity which translates (in the right enclosure) to better transient performance (start/stop speed translating to "detail").

But the comparison is apples to oranges. These are two entirely different drivers intended for two different applications - they don't really equate well in a comparison - i.e. one is not really a substitute for the other in their intended applications.

MW19P doesn't tend to dig very deep - it's well suited to an f3 in the mid 40's where it performs best as a standalone woofer. It does have very decent x-max @ 13.4mm but I've always found its best suited to handing over to a larger woofer in a multi-way design if you really want to get into those last two octaves.

The WO24P on the other hand is an absolute beast of a woofer that will easily get you into 20 something territory in the right box and will be right at home doing it. I would consider it a decent candidate to bridge the two worlds you are comparing.

Leave a comment:

• JamesTan
    started a topic SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4

SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4

Hello everybody, I am planning to build a 3 way speaker and currently I have the SB29RDAC-C000-4 tweeter and the Satori MW13P-4 mid woofer. I am still deciding on the woofer and I am planning to use the SB23MFCL45-4 (which I happen to have an extremely good deal from the used market, pretty new 1-2 yrs old, 4 units with a price tag a lot lower than 1 pair of MW19P). I intend to cross the woofer and mid between 200-300Hz. So the 3 way can be in a TMWW configuration using the SB23MFCL45-4 woofer.

My question is, if I were to upgrade the woofer to just 1 pair of Satori MW19P-8 (TMW configuration), will I hear a significant difference in sound quality especially in the vocal around that low region (100-250Hz range)? If not much of a difference I would prefer to stick with the SB23MFCL45-4 due to the extremely good deal I can get from the used market. Look forward to your commend and recommendation. TIA.
    Last edited by JamesTan; 06-29-2021, 08:36 AM.
Working...
X