Retreads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retreads

Last year, jml was parting out the woofers from his Treadnoughts. He is local and I inquired about the cabinets. A few days later I was lugging the beasts home where they sat up until recently. jml built these with removable baffles, so repurposing them wouldn't be too difficult. I bought some cheap boards for replacement baffles as I wasn't sure what the final design would be. I had the upper 2/3 of the CanTiLena speakers on hand, but I could never get myself to buy the 22W/8857T00. I have several RSS210 subs on hand and two of the RSS210HO-8 modeled well in the cabinets. I played around with the original CanTiLena crossover in XSim, swapping in the new drivers to come up with a starting point for the new woofer circuit. I'm a novice at taking measurements and designing crossovers, but this will give me some practice. I'm sure the change in driver spacing/location, baffle width, and the fact there are two woofers will create less than ideal results, but what the heck
    I present the Retreads!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Retread.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	1472660
    My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Very interesting . . .

Comment

Nice.

So these and 3 way Continuums? Wow.

If you get those Continuum tweeters pounded out, you will have a good reference to listen to while working on these.

Comment

Continuums are operational, but in need of new tweeters. Was going to use this box with Focal 8V416J for CanTiLena knockoffs above, but they look good with the Continuums. The 8V416J may be too loud for the Continuum 3-ways and better suited for use with the CanTiLenas. I have several RSS210's on hand. Suggestions?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	continuum.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1473159
        My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Hi silverD,

I have quite a bit of experience using those Morel dome mids and NeoCD1.0 tweeters together. I first paired them up together in a tall MLTL 3 way using Dayton RS225-8 woofers (my Agendas project). Then I repurposed them in another 3 way project using the Usher 8945A woofer in a medium sized, curve sided bookshelf BR enclosure (my Gormachos project). In both projects, however, I had the mid and tweeter vertically spaced as close tigether as possible without overlapping them and my baffles weren't as wide as yours, as well as having 3/4" round overs. That said, I truly think those are great sounding drivers and a near perfect match for each other.
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Working...
          X