No announcement yet.

Driver time alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of my prototype speakers have a tweeter temporarily sitting near the lower edge of the woofer so it cannot fall very far. I do sometimes think it actually sounds better that way. Not sure why?

Comment

There are also times when the vertical off axis response is better to the direction of the woofer than opposite. Stand up and integration goes to crap. Then it just makes better sense to invert.
      I have a small 2way in the works where inversion looked better than not.

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

For some reason I've always inverted and off-centered the tweeter. I think when I was a kid and just getting into this I liked the unconventional look above anything else - that and very early rudimentary understanding of diffraction resulted in it "feeling" like a good idea so I ran with it. Haven't done it any other way since. I've owned plenty of speakers with things mounted the conventional way. I couldn't honestly tell you if it sounds "better" as such - far to many other differentiating factors between the speakers and I've never A-B'd this aspect of my designs. However, I've always found integration and off-axis response to be well behaved and I never really liked the sound of tweeters directly pointed at my ear canals.

Comment

Originally posted by Billet View Post
          Possible reasons to not put the tweeter under the woofer:

1. Probably not so good for a floor standing bookshelf speaker.
          2. Could cause tweeter diffraction if mounted on a shelf or other flat surface.
          3. Higher center of gravity, might tip easier.
          4. Doesn't look "right"
          Mission has used it in floor standers too: https://www.mission.co.uk/wp-content...X-6-MKII-7.png
          Click image for larger version

Name:	LX-6-MKII-7.png
Views:	95
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1473012
          This is not unlike the MTM aesthetic we have come to accept.

Doesn't look right? Mine look identical as long as the grills are in place ;-)
          I agree...the MT inverted doesn't look "normal", but that is just because it isn't the norm, so it catches your eye. We simply expect to see TM rather than MT.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post

Mission has used it in floor standers too: https://www.mission.co.uk/wp-content...X-6-MKII-7.png
            Click image for larger version

Name:	LX-6-MKII-7.png
Views:	95
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1473012
            This is not unlike the MTM aesthetic we have come to accept.

Doesn't look right? Mine look identical as long as the grills are in place ;-)
            I agree...the MT inverted doesn't look "normal", but that is just because it isn't the norm, so it catches your eye. We simply expect to see TM rather than MT.
            Well, the tweeter is under the midrange there. If that puts the tweeter about 3ft up, that's a good reason to do it. Getting the midrange higher might be another reason, to get more vertical directivity at the woofer-midrange crossover.
            Francis

Comment

Helps with open baffle mid

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
              X