Small center using leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small center using leftovers

I currently don't have a center channel speaker, and for the most part I don't really need one for most content. I do have the urge to build something easy, so, I'm going to modify an old speaker box, and make a small 2-way. The drivers have been collecting dust for many years. The tweeter will most likely be a Morel mdt39. The woofer will be a Peerless 4" HDS. My woodworking skills are minimal, but I hope to make the box look a little better than it looks now. I'll add a before picture when I get a chance. This new speaker may later become a 3-way by adding a woofer in a separate box.

Free/near free is usually good, especially when you don't need to scratch build a cabinet.

Comment

Ooooo a custom design!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	186
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	1472847
      Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
      Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Name:	20210709_191641.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	1472850 Existing speaker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_191632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	562.0 KB ID:	1472849

Comment

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          Those may be "before" pics, but they're definitely "after" something.

• rpb
          rpb commented
          Editing a comment
          I suspect that box has been part of 4 or 5 previous speakers dating back maybe 15 years. It would probably be easier to just start over, unless I stick with a pretty conventional baffle.

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          Duratex would fix it right up. It looks solid.

OK... time to start cutting! That's a Peerless 6.5" HDS driver, and a CSS LD22 tweeter. They will be used later in a larger box.

Comment

Some drivers on hand.

Name:	20210709_193347.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	1472853 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_193402.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	1472854

Comment

I have the urge to slope the baffle, and carve some large round-overs. That was not initially my intention, but holding the 4" woofer up to the baffle, it just looks lost. I didn't have significant diffraction problems with the 6.5" woofer, but I'm thinking the 4" might be affected by the baffle more. If I cross low, that might not be an issue. I might make a simple baffle, and measure the woofer before I do anything fancy. These 4" woofers are pretty smooth, or will be, if diffraction doesn't change it. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

Comment

To djg.....This box has been around. It was altered to play with this one. This one was a new build about a year or so ago..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_194113.jpg Views:	0 Size:	388.8 KB ID:	1472861

Comment

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like a nice sized speaker. I have some Peerless/Vifa sealed 2 ways that are very handy.

• rpb
                rpb commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the look of small speakers, but I want the performance of larger ones. These were fine with a sub, and "OK" without, but a little thin in the bass. The box is too small to go deep. My plan is to build larger 2-ways for my living room that can handle the bass without a sub. I've built some already, but they look really bulky because they are 1 cu-ft and sit on 24" stands. .

:D

Keep going, rpb!!

Comment

I should show you guys my ugly speakers!

Comment

Don't make me share my ugly drumming studio pics!!

:D

Comment

I used the diffraction simulator to see if I could find a good location for the woofer and tweeter. The seats in my room are at about 20 degrees off axis, so that's what is shown in the sim. I will probably have large beveled edges, but I ran a sim with and without. Vertical response looked pretty good up to 25 degrees or so.

Name:	center woofer  diffraction.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1472895 Click image for larger version

Name:	center tweeter diffraction.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1472896 Click image for larger version

Name:	center tweeter min bevel.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1472897

Comment

Just visualizing before I cut for drivers. Might use the larger tweeter.

Name:	20210710_162747.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	812.9 KB
ID:	1472908

Name:	20210710_162721.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	1472909

Comment

I think I'm sticking with the smaller mdt39. I want to bevel the top, and There's not enough room unless I lower the woofer.
                        Last edited by rpb; 07-10-2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210711_120521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	823.0 KB ID:	1472950 Baffle is coming along. After it's glued in place, I will make additional passes on the table saw to even it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X