No announcement yet.

Silverflute Peerless Two Way Bookshelf Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I simmed it up, and it is really close. The inductor will need to reduced to .56mH, but I can unwind them and measure if needed. It is pretty flat at 1mH, so it may not matter. I do have an inductance meter that is pretty accurate. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      In your simulations, we do not see the individual driver impedances. This is where the compensation for the tweeter would come into play. T
      So, IF he did have the tweeter impedance plot, would it simply be that the spike is huge and the LCR lowers it significantly, or is it more nuanced than that? If he was using a different tweeter, is there a rule-of-thumb for when "huge" requires such Fs compensation?

Comment

If magnitude is high, say 20 ohms or more, then it is very easily excited, or even without ferro fluid, and could contribute this quality. The secondary is that a dip will result from the cancellation between woofer and tweeter at this freq.

Sometimes HD or listening is the deciding factor to use nothing, resistor or full LCR.

Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have the crossovers assembled without the impedance compensation circuit on the tweeters. I have more parts coming tomorrow. I am also going to play around with the tweeter padding. It measures hotter than my Sims. I also started on some stands for these also. So far they sound pretty good. I can tell I have tweeking to do yet. They image like crazy though. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well after a little bit of tweaking and some comparisons with my other speakers, I think I have have something I am happy with. These speakers have really great midrange, and the highs very clear. The imaging is the best I have heard comparing to all of my other speakers. Bass is not bad for a bookshelf. I believe it is close to the sims of an F3 of 42hz. Not bad, but my only true bookshelf speakers so I don't have much to compare to there. They have a sensitivity around 82db with an input of 2.83 volts. They are inefficient, but I can drive them pretty hard. I have an Emotiva amp rated at 125 watts rms at 8 ohms, and they take quite a bit of it. They fill my basement really well. I will be leaving the crossovers out until they are finished and will continue listening to them and also inviting some friends over to get their opinion also before I mount them in the cabinets. Below is the final schematic and measurement.

Comment

I will take some off axis measurements in my yard once I get some more run time on them.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think it may be interesting to try these out as a 2.5 way at some point. A bump in sensitivity would be nice, and 2 woofers in a ~2 cubic foot tower will yield a mid 30s f3 and still handle a decent amount of power.

Comment

Keep going, Man!

Looking good so far . . .

Comment

I started veneering the cabinets today and painting my stands. I am doing cherry on the sides and paint on the fronts. Starting to come together. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X