Copperheads or Something Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copperheads or Something Else?

I did a search on desktop speakers but didn't find as much as I had anticipated. My employer is finally requiring me to return to the office so to make that a little more enjoyable I thought I'd build some desktop speakers. They won't be played loud and I do I not need a sub.. trying not to disturb my coworkers.

The Copperheads seem to fit the bill, cheap, easy, the speaker gets pretty good reviews, and as a bonus I like the look of the copper. I just wanted to see if y'all had any other recommendations that would be clearly better for the money. They don't have to be DIY, I just tend to lean that way.. maybe the MK402s. I want to keep it under $100 and I already have she Cnotes, those are bigger than I'd like. Bonus points for good small amp suggestions or really cheap DAC s hat aren't garbage.

How about Duane Brown's Dayton 4 speakers? I just picked up a Kinter K7498BT for under $40 which seems to be clone of the Lepai LP7498E. Haven't used it much so I can't speak to its robustness. You should be able to get the parts for the Dayton 4's and the amp for around a hundred.
    My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

The amp isn't included in the $100 although I wouldn't be mad to get both under $100. I'll check the Dayton 4's out, thanks.

Comment

The Lepai 2020 is a proven 2/ch amp (pretty good SQ for $25 or so).

Comment

I have a set of Wolf's PC speakers at my home work setup and a set of Scott's Heliums at my office desk (haven't seen them in year and a half...).
          Both work very well for low-volume desktop use w/o a sub.
          I have a Teac AI-101DA to drive them both.
          Andy.

Comment

I have both the 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm Helium's on my desktop with the Dayton 6" sub. I think they are great with or without the sub! Perfect for your needs.

Gary
            Getting better!:D

Comment

Went with the easiest solution.. I think they will work nice for their purpose.

​​​​​​
              Attached Files

Comment

They are dwarfed by that sub but they look good.

Comment

I get chuckle from thinking about showing up to work and shoving that thing under my desk.. it could fit, right? Who needs leg room?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210803_000522.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	1474224

Comment

You can modulate the port tuning with your feet, too!

Comment

Working...
                    X