Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Marv can run them in active or passive mode by a rear switch. It's the bluetooth speaker amp.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• s7horton
    replied
    Originally posted by marvin View Post
    Big thank you to the hosts and attendees. Great event, great projects. I also enjoyed the guest speaker, Andy Bauwman the tube expert. BTW, Andy has the best sounding speakers in the world--said so himself (and I think Matt Sobey agrees). My little Duane Brown/ Dr Jay deluxe project was well received. I received a couple questions how I glued the fabric to the enclosures and then a follow up question was, "...did you use a roller? I used Mod Podge as an adhesive. I must have had a mental block because each time I wondered why they need to know if I used a roller to spread the glue?! It was on my way home that I realized they were likely wondering if I smoothed the cloth in place with a roller! Doh! Yes, I did use a roller to smooth the fabic in place. Unfortunately, I did have a couple of minor spots where the adhesive bled through but not too badly. I will do better next time. Another method would be to use spray adhesive to avoid bleed through, but then I think it would be more difficult to get a nice seam where the ends meet.
    They were super cool, thanks for bringing them. I probably missed it, but I never did hear what the buttons on top were for. I was curious if they had a Bluetooth receiver or something inside.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Anyone get any pics of the event?

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied
    Big thank you to the hosts and attendees. Great event, great projects. I also enjoyed the guest speaker, Andy Bauwman the tube expert. BTW, Andy has the best sounding speakers in the world--said so himself (and I think Matt Sobey agrees).

My little Duane Brown/ Dr Jay deluxe project was well received. I received a couple questions how I glued the fabric to the enclosures and then a follow up question was, "...did you use a roller? I used Mod Podge as an adhesive.

I must have had a mental block because each time I wondered why they need to know if I used a roller to spread the glue?! It was on my way home that I realized they were likely wondering if I smoothed the cloth in place with a roller! Doh! Yes, I did use a roller to smooth the fabic in place. Unfortunately, I did have a couple of minor spots where the adhesive bled through but not too badly. I will do better next time.

Another method would be to use spray adhesive to avoid bleed through, but then I think it would be more difficult to get a nice seam where the ends meet.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    commented on 's reply
    I suppose I went a little light on the cone surface area for an open baffle with the room size and music selection. Found the Xmech! I knew this could happen, but they were sounding so good at home I really wanted to demo them. Live and learn, I guess

• Billet
    replied
    Yes, it was a very nice event. All were great sounding speakers, and its always interesting to see some experimental models. I learn something each time.

Thanks to all who made it possible.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Yes- it was a blast. No rushing, as fewer attended than expected, and we took our time going through them. No duds at all.

Billet needs to use boxes again though.... Wokka-wokka, said the W6520.....

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    Nice event. Good to see everyone. Had a great time.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    I ended up in a business trip, sitting in the Netherlands instead this year. I hope the event went off safely and successfully!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    commented on 's reply
    Bill, thanks for the info and the great link to your well done build thread - love it!

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
    This is a very interesting design ^

37 lbs? (Not going to vibrate off a shelf).

What are the exterior dimensions?
    Thanks, Steve. Exterior dimensions are 10" W x 15.25" H x 16" D. Here is a link to the complete construction thread, showing the internal trap dimensions as well. I just noticed that I forgot to post my harmonic distortion measurements at 95dB, showing the tweeter distortion levels throughout the 900Hz crossover area. I will have to find this data and post it (if I cannot find it, I will re-run the test). Bill

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discus...arik-8-two-way

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    This is a very interesting design ^

37 lbs? (Not going to vibrate off a shelf).

What are the exterior dimensions?

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    I'm an indefinite, solid maybe for Saturday at this point.
    The plan will be to demo one bookshelf pair, new for 2021:

--- RST28F-4/isobarik SD215A-88 tuned to 31Hz
    --- 900Hz xovers (8th order)
    --- Hot swappable bass reflex ports with custom tuned internal traps
    --- Custom heavy duty DIY 45 degree angle input jacks
    --- Multi-layer Crystallac/gloss lacquer finish
    --- Red horizontal racing stripes
    --- 37 lbs each

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DS73824.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1473415

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    commented on 's reply
    Great time! Hope I get to see you fellas again.

• johnnyrichards
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, I was there being poisoned as well.
Working...
X