X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s7horton
    replied
    Originally posted by craigk View Post

would like to give Seth credit for building another great cabinet. well built and good looking.
    thanks for all the comments at the show, nice to get some positive confirmation on a project.
    I get to live with this great design every day. For me, it’s the best I’ve owned. My source is clearly the weak point of the system now.

I’ll admit, I’m curious of the capabilities of the MTM version.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    commented on 's reply
    Nice job, those speakers have a very clean and well balanced sound.
    Last edited by Billet; 10-08-2021, 06:51 AM.

• craigk
    replied
    Originally posted by scottvalentin View Post
    Wow great looking projects! Would really like to know more about all of them really, but particularly Craig K and Seth's project as well as the baby M2 due to that fantastic looking waveguide.
    sorry for the delay. this project was designed about 2 years ago. someone ask " if i could build a 2 way design, and money was not an issue what would i build ? " this is the speaker that came from that conversation. the tweeter is the Scan Rev Be. it is one of the better sounding tweeters i know of. A little more difficult to work with compared to the Illuminator Be, but more natural sounding. this is not a cheap tweeter though. the woofer is the Scan Illuminator. Very nice driver, great bass and very nice mid range. Crossover is at 2000 hz. tweeter is 2 nd order with a parallel notch, and an L pad. the woofer is 3 rd order, with a notch for the Scan surround hump that all their drivers seem to have. nothing wild or crazy. just a long time period of listening and voicing to get to where the crossover is at now. i really like this design, but this winter i am going to start on an MTM version. so maybe in a year or so i will brining it to a show or maybe not.

would like to give Seth credit for building another great cabinet. well built and good looking.
    thanks for all the comments at the show, nice to get some positive confirmation on a project.

Leave a comment:

• s7horton
    commented on 's reply
    I’m not sure why the Tapatalk app doesn’t show all the comments. I had to use the website to see all of them.

The cabinets are 1” mdf, there are a couple mdf braces dado’d in plus one hardwood brace near the top. Everything was built with mitered construction so nothing will telegraph through. I much prefer the look of the slanted cabinet, but leaving the top and base parallel to the floor adds a pretty big complexity to the cabinet - you lose your reference to square.

I use a vacuum bag to veneer. In this case it was walnut. I always use unbacked veneer, it gives me the cleanest edge detail. Everything was veneered except the bottom of the cabinet. That’s what allowed me to leave 3/16” exposed all the way around on the front baffle. You can’t tell, but the veneered top waterfalls into the front. They are also matched pairs (mirror image) since I buy sequenced veneer. I spray precatalyzed lacquer on all my veneer.

The front baffle rounded edge detail I did on the table saw and by hand sanding. I intentionally exposed part of the woofer frame. First, I thought it looked cool, and second it allowed me to minimize the width of the cabinet.

The cabinets are about 1 cubic foot, tuned I think to 37hz. Any other questions, let me know.

• Wolf
    replied
    I see my EMP project photobombing a couple of Marvin's photos in the back by the room treatments.
    This is a photo from the InDIYana 2021 event below...
    Wolf

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DS75565.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	751.8 KB
ID:	1476583

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    commented on 's reply
    craigk probably some details on the cabinet construction. The angled back stance of these really add to the appearance, and Seth obviously has professional level finish on those baffles. What tweeter to go with that Ellipticor or Illuminate woofer? They look beautiful

• LIDAR
    commented on 's reply
    Is that a commercially available waveguide? If so, make and model. If not, was it 3d printed?

• Billet
    commented on 's reply
    Got that from a co-worker who hopefully never gets tired of hearing about speakers.

In all of these cases, they really did sound good!

• LOUT
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by craigk View Post
    What would you like to know
    Do you have a link to a build thread or something similar where you talk about the design and choices etc.? Sorry for intruding if there are more specific questions scottvalentin might have.

• marvin
    replied
    I learned a new quip from Billett at the event...."Look how good they sound!" LOL

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    commented on 's reply
    What would you like to know

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Wow great looking projects! Would really like to know more about all of them really, but particularly Craig K and Seth's project as well as the baby M2 due to that fantastic looking waveguide.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied
    More pics:

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied
    Here's a few pics...maybe someone else can post the projects I missed.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    commented on 's reply
    Ben is correct. They sound decent even with the BT amp. Great solution for a desk top.
Working...
X