No announcement yet.

Can you make a C Note box any smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make a C Note box any smaller?

Can you make a C Note box any smaller? The dimensions of the supplied box in the kit are 11" H x 7.5" W x 9.5" D. This is with the ½ inch MDF. Volume box calculators indicate that this is an internal volume of 0.32 ft.³. The Parts Express webpage for the Dayton Audio DSA135-8 5" Designer Series Aluminum Cone Woofer indicate that it requires a 0.2 cubic foot volume for a vented box. I read the only reason this box was made that big was so they could also include the amplifier for a powered version without changing it. So… Can I make this box only 7.5 inches deep? That is still and internal volume of 0.24 ft.³. Considering space for drivers and crossovers, etc., it would still be at the recommended 0.2 feet or more.

Don't put so much weight on the "recommended" volumes listed on the product pages. Those are relatively arbitrary and really only useful as a starting point for when you put the woofer into a proper modeling program (BassBox, WinISD, whatever). There are always trade offs.

You could do that if you like, but you'll need to redo the port as well to properly align the woofer and the bass extension will be different from the design as planned. I'm not sure how much low extension you'll lose without modeling it, but it will be some. However, as long as you keep the baffle the same the crossover should stand as is.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

All other things being equal (which they seldom are), if you decreased the box volume by about -25%, I'd probably recommend making the port roughly +1" longer (if you can). Even with that change, you'll probably lose about 5Hz off the bottom end.

Is there a reason why you wish they were 2" shallower?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        Is there a reason why you wish they were 2" shallower?
        They are going on opposite ends of the fireplace mantle, straddling the TV. The mantle is 10 inches deep. So figuring in space behind for port function, I was thinking 7.5 inches. I could cut 2 inches off the panels and still use the back panel and front baffle.

I seriously do not know what the recommended distance of a rear firing port from a posterior wall is. I was guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jicafold View Post

I seriously do not know what the recommended distance of a rear firing port from a posterior wall is. I was guessing.
          Usually a diameter to a diameter and a half. If you get closer, as long as you have a good flare the main effect is the tuning is lowered a little.
          Francis

Comment

Have you already bought these things? There are oodles of designs smaller than the C notes. You obviously can build a box, I don't think you're limited to flat pack designs.

Comment

The maximally flat alignment is .22 cu ft vented with 54Hz Fb. There was a previous version of this driver with different specs that worked best in a much larger box, which could be part of the confusion. However, you also have to account for the volume inside the box taken up by both the driver and port. It would be worthwhile learning how to use WinISD, then you could figure these things out yourself.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Put the port on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  Have you already bought these things? There are oodles of designs smaller than the C notes. You obviously can build a box, I don't think you're limited to flat pack designs.
                  Nope. Haven't bought the kit yet. Just considering options to compliment the center channel I built. Which obviously means the Dayton 4 also. With similar depth issues. It just seems that the C Note is such a value purchase.

Comment

I imagine I will make the Duane Brown design Dayton 4. Then it would be timber matching and aesthetically matching to my center channel.

Of course DeZZar would want me to skip all that and buy something already made like the Dayton MK402X but that’s no fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X