Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GRS Pro woofers.

https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-8P...-8-Ohm-292-802

Would these work well as a "musical sub"? The 8 inch has F3 of about 41 in a 1.3 FT3 vented box. They are very sensitive so maybe I could use 2 to support bookshelf speakers.

With an Xmax of 6.5mm you won't get pounding deep bass, but the price is right for an economy setup. The frequency response gets goofy above 300Hz, but that's not a big deal for a sub. Qts of 0.55 means you'll have a tough time getting real flat response in a vented box, but once again that may not matter for an economy sub.
    Francis

Comment

• JRT
      JRT commented
      Editing a comment
      The datasheet grossly overstates calculated Xmax by using an unusual and unconventional formula buried in a footnote.

• fpitas
      fpitas commented
      Editing a comment
      I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

It can realize a 36Hz F3, but that's in a 2 cu ft net box. If I was using a box that big it would be loaded with a ten or twelve, probably sealed. The sensitivity is pretty good, but where low end output is concerned there's no replacement for displacement. With Vd of only 138cc it's just not there.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Very nice for a compact bass guitar amp or a mid-bass. Doesn't interest me at all as a sub though.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Thanks for the info. I may look into multiple subs instead.

Although more midbass is what i'm looking for. Maybe I need to take some room measurements before deciding what to do.

Comment

It's rare when multiple subs aren't better than one. It's even more rare when subs work as well beneath the mains as they do when placed where they work best. Keep that in mind before deciding on anything.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

If the GRS T/S parms are accurate, and you're okay w/40Hz (should be fine for music) they should do well enough. Dayton's 8" "Classic" could go deeper in the same size box, but these should be able to play a LOT louder.

Comment

Then there's this:
              GRS 12SW-4HE 12" Paper Cone Rubber Surround High Excursion Subwoofer 4 OhmEngineered for extended low frequency response and flexibility, the 12SW-4HE 12” high excursion subwoofer from GRS is an ideal replacement driver for existing subwoofer systems or an excellent choice for new economical designs. Capable of producing powerful bass response in both sealed and vented designs, the 12SW-4HE is suitable as a drop-in replacement for most existing 12” subwoofers. The rigid paper cone is supported by a large diameter spider and rubber surround to keep excursion linear while providing reliable performance. An extended frame and bumped back plate allow ample mechanical clearance to avoid damage when driven to high excursion. With a high temperature 2” voice coil wound on a thick aluminum former the 12SW-4HE can comfortably handle up to 250 watts RMS of power. Extensive venting through the frame, pole piece, and magnetic gap dissipates excess heat to keep power compression to a minimum, even when driven hard for long periods. Capable of incredible low frequency extension, the GRS 12SW-4HE is the perfect driver for true bass on a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper View Post
                Then there's this:
                That's interesting....especially if they perform as specified

Comment

Hyperbole runs rampant. An F3 of 37Hz in a 1.7 cu ft sealed box with a Q of 0.7 is good, but hardly incredible. If you go vented you can get an F3 of 18Hz, which is very good, but it requires a Vb with a net volume of 3.7 cu ft, which will end up at 4 cu ft after accounting for the driver and port volumes. Still, for $40 it looks pretty hard to beat.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I ordered a pair of those HE 12" drivers. Either a biga$$ monkey coffin or inexpensive subwoofers for the living room.
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT
                      The datasheet grossly overstates calculated Xmax by using an unusual and unconventional formula buried in a footnote.
                      GRS 8PT-8-
                      "*Xmax = [VoiceCoilLength - TopPlateHeight / 2] + 1/3 TopPlateHeight"

Are they basically listing Xmech instead of Xmax?

My first 2way build

Comment

Originally posted by LOUT View Post
                        GRS 8PT-8-
                        "*Xmax = [VoiceCoilLength - TopPlateHeight / 2] + 1/3 TopPlateHeight"

Are they basically listing Xmech instead of Xmax?
                        Nope, that's normal. They're including 1/3 of the plate thickness, but that's very different from the mechanical limits.

That GRS 12SW-4HE does look sweet for an inexpensive sub. No other sizes yet, I wonder if they'll round that out with 8, 10 and 15" models.
                        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                        Wogg Music
                        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

I went ahead and got 2 GRS 12SW-4HE while they were still in stock. I would hope they will update with more sizes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            I ordered a pair of those HE 12" drivers. Either a biga$$ monkey coffin or inexpensive subwoofers for the living room.
                            That reminds me I still have the parts to build the Le Singe Sarcophage. I really wanted to use them in the garage I don't have . Between changing jobs and covid lumber prices it does not look too promising building one right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X