Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooper
    replied
    Yes, the 12” HE sub is not really a “pro” woofer. Sorry to hijack the thread. But, PE had this (sub)woofer on the pro woofer product page, so thatS why I posted. Should probably be separate thread.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    ...These GRS HE woofers are going to be very popular, hope PE ordered an entire container of them.
    This is the GRS HE subwoofer as opposed to the new GRS pro woofers the OP originally posted about. Right now there is only a 12" HE subwoofer, any ideas of whether there will be others (8, 10, 15)?

Leave a comment:

• cooper
    replied
    Thanks for posting Johnny. Looks like a screaming deal for $40. Nice amp friendly DCR. I might pick one up to throw in my car. Might be nice in 1 c.f. Or even a bit less, stuffed.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    And the note - one of them looks like it has some cone sag. I'll see tomorrow if it is permanent.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Relatively stiff suspension inhibited manually exercising them, so these were taken on essentially new, not broken-in drivers. My educated guess is a real break-in period would yield results very close to advertised.

I'm generally impressed. These GRS HE woofers are going to be very popular, hope PE ordered an entire container of them.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Originally posted by Kered View Post

That reminds me I still have the parts to build the Le Singe Sarcophage. I really wanted to use them in the garage I don't have . Between changing jobs and covid lumber prices it does not look too promising building one right now.
    Yeah, it put a damper on my DIY plans, as well - that and hurting my leg last year that segued into a pandemic that rippled out into lumber prices.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I ordered a pair of those HE 12" drivers. Either a biga$$ monkey coffin or inexpensive subwoofers for the living room.
    That reminds me I still have the parts to build the Le Singe Sarcophage. I really wanted to use them in the garage I don't have . Between changing jobs and covid lumber prices it does not look too promising building one right now.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    I went ahead and got 2 GRS 12SW-4HE while they were still in stock. I would hope they will update with more sizes as well.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Originally posted by LOUT View Post
    GRS 8PT-8-
    "*Xmax = [VoiceCoilLength - TopPlateHeight / 2] + 1/3 TopPlateHeight"

Are they basically listing Xmech instead of Xmax?
    Nope, that's normal. They're including 1/3 of the plate thickness, but that's very different from the mechanical limits.

That GRS 12SW-4HE does look sweet for an inexpensive sub. No other sizes yet, I wonder if they'll round that out with 8, 10 and 15" models.

Leave a comment:

• LOUT
    replied
    Originally posted by JRT
    The datasheet grossly overstates calculated Xmax by using an unusual and unconventional formula buried in a footnote.
    GRS 8PT-8-
    "*Xmax = [VoiceCoilLength - TopPlateHeight / 2] + 1/3 TopPlateHeight"

Are they basically listing Xmech instead of Xmax?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    I ordered a pair of those HE 12" drivers. Either a biga$$ monkey coffin or inexpensive subwoofers for the living room.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Hyperbole runs rampant. An F3 of 37Hz in a 1.7 cu ft sealed box with a Q of 0.7 is good, but hardly incredible. If you go vented you can get an F3 of 18Hz, which is very good, but it requires a Vb with a net volume of 3.7 cu ft, which will end up at 4 cu ft after accounting for the driver and port volumes. Still, for $40 it looks pretty hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• chrisn
    replied
    Originally posted by cooper View Post
    Then there's this:
    That's interesting....especially if they perform as specified

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

• cooper
    replied
    Then there's this:
    GRS 12SW-4HE 12" Paper Cone Rubber Surround High Excursion Subwoofer 4 OhmEngineered for extended low frequency response and flexibility, the 12SW-4HE 12” high excursion subwoofer from GRS is an ideal replacement driver for existing subwoofer systems or an excellent choice for new economical designs. Capable of producing powerful bass response in both sealed and vented designs, the 12SW-4HE is suitable as a drop-in replacement for most existing 12” subwoofers. The rigid paper cone is supported by a large diameter spider and rubber surround to keep excursion linear while providing reliable performance. An extended frame and bumped back plate allow ample mechanical clearance to avoid damage when driven to high excursion. With a high temperature 2” voice coil wound on a thick aluminum former the 12SW-4HE can comfortably handle up to 250 watts RMS of power. Extensive venting through the frame, pole piece, and magnetic gap dissipates excess heat to keep power compression to a minimum, even when driven hard for long periods. Capable of incredible low frequency extension, the GRS 12SW-4HE is the perfect driver for true bass on a budget.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X