Dayton Audio Reference Series High Excursion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Audio Reference Series High Excursion

Man, I guess we know what the people at Dayton Audio were doing over the last year in isolation...coming up with a bunch of new products!

https://www.parts-express.com/promo/reference-he-series

(Now if they could just get those new Epique subs off the slow boat from China and onto my front step.)

I thought higher excursion versions of the ReferenceSeries/RSS subs were what the Ultimax series were. Now I'm curious where these fit in.
    EDIT: looks like they're higher efficiency, wattage, XMAX and price than the Ultimax, but don't reach quite as low with higher FS?
    My first 2way build

Comment

Nice
      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
      MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Is there any data to back up the Xmax claim? Adding "1/3 of the top plate thickness" seems pretty arbitrary.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

SB Audio is using the same method of late - not sure what it means but it seems to be a recent trend . . .

Comment

It's what you do when you don't use Klippel. Using the Klippel standard of xmax being where 10% THD is reached it's almost always longer than the traditional coil length top plate calc. Adding 1/3 the top plate thickness to that would seem an effort to get a number closer to the Klippel, but yes, it is arbitrary.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Of course if you supercharge, Xmax doubles, at least.
              Francis

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the 18" model (assuming it materializes eventually) will compare to the Ultimax 18 which slightly out classes the RSS460HO.
                Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

These drivers do look very interesting. I ran a few simulations and really like what I see. Smaller vented enclosures can get down below 20 Hz easily. Port size can be tricky though. But lots of options for sure. Would love to see a complimentary pair of these as passive radiators. That massive excursion would make them pair great with the regular RS series without needed to go up in size (ie, pair a 12 with a 12). For anyone interested, I noticed their spec sheet actually shows a cross section of the motor assembly, something they normally don't show, so I grabbed a screen shot and re-drew it to scale with some CAD software. With that I was able to take measurements of all of the more interesting parameters. Xmax comes in exactly at ±27mm just as specified with Xmech being around ±36mm. The vent is a whopping 35mm as well. So very nice. Accuracy of my drawing is probably about ±0.3mm, best I can guess. Other dimensions are shown as well. Anyway, these look like fun drivers, a great addition to the Dayton Audio line-up. Now I just need an excuse to build a sub. =)

Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS390HE-22_cad.png
Views:	647
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	1473886

Comment

Would these be suitable for a sealed enclosure with a lot of power and DSP/EQ to get it to dig down deeper? Or would these be better suited for ported designs?

Comment

Originally posted by lamski View Post
                      Would these be suitable for a sealed enclosure with a lot of power and DSP/EQ to get it to dig down deeper? Or would these be better suited for ported designs?
                      They'll work fine in sealed.
                      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

They'll work fine in sealed.
                        For the 15" HE, would the 3cf sealed enclosure PE offers be a good choice or would the 4cf sealed enclosure be better? I think I have the space for either one.

Comment

Originally posted by lamski View Post

For the 15" HE, would the 3cf sealed enclosure PE offers be a good choice or would the 4cf sealed enclosure be better? I think I have the space for either one.
                          Running a quick SIM in AJ Sealed, 3cf or 4cf should work fine. I'd use the 3cf and stuff it well to absorb harmonics. Not particularly crucial for a sub, but I like to do that.
                          Francis

Comment

Can anyone say whether 18" models are planned and a guess at the timeline. If they model nicely in a 4cuft sesled box and pe we're to open preorders, I'd have my credit card out.
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                            CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Working...
                            X