Need some help - how to configure EQ/DSP/Crossover on small project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help - how to configure EQ/DSP/Crossover on small project

Ok, i'm waiving the white flag here, i need some help setting this up.........I have all these settings on my little BT amp and have had a go fiddling around and failed and made some small advancements.

I tried intially to make the smiley face using the EQ, where i tried to lift anything less tha 150hz, dip the mids and boost the highs, but noticed that if the curve goes above the zero DB, it calls it up saturated and distorts and restarts the chip. So if i went +3db on the lows and highs i made sure i translated the master gain down -3db.

I have also tried the bass enhancement, which was applied to 150hz of 2db and adjusting the master -3 to get below the baseline. which sounded ok, but really needed that boost to the highs as well.

I've tried to look at the User PEQ, which i assume is parametric, but not sure what i was really doing there.

I started thinking that if i mess with this too much that it could sound a bit average as most devices now days that you would sync to, most likely would have some form of EQ settings applied, so would result in a double dose.

Based on the image, is there any advice for me to tweak to get my small low fi boozetooth speaker sounding a bit more like a bose soundlink mini (in the way of bass response) without it sounding like trash? ie add some crossover settings to stop it going too low, adjust the bass enhance etc. I'm just a little lost and feel like i'm spinning my wheels, but was excited with a few attempts as i was getting some good results, but then changed something and had to do a factory reset.

Attached Files

What application/product are you using/configuring? (That info is missing from your post).

Comment

I'm using a no name bt amp with a QCC3003 chip and it uses the Universal Parameter Manager/toolkit. I'm mainly interested in what to do/tweak based on what's available in my image
      edit. I'm accessing the chip by using one of those usb spi programmers and a pogo pin bench.

Comment

Pick this video up right at 2:00 mm:ss and watch him - he covers setting up EQ for the device . . . Hope this helps . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZP0L4utO1o

Comment

• 3rutu5
          3rutu5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I've been watching that video constantly.. he goes well in setting it up, but I'm more chasing some examples of values to put in for either am EQ, PEq, bass enhance or If I should try the cross over function.

• Steve Lee
          Steve Lee commented
          Editing a comment
          The settings are going to be different for every different driver - There are more experienced members here concerning this than I and, hopefully they will chime-in.
          At least now you understand why you are clipping the amp with your settings and how to move forward.
          Get rid of/cut the low frequencies that the driver is unable to reproduce 1st in your EQ then experiment with the Q settings of the remaining lower frequencies.
          The higher the Q setting the fatter/muddier it will sound and the lower the Q setting the tighter and more defined it will sound.

Keep going, man!

• 3rutu5
          3rutu5 commented
          Editing a comment
          oh is that right? well there you go, just learnt something extra re the Q setting. i was trying to as close to zero with the Q when trying to give it a peak or two, then use larger Q's when i was going a big sweeping curve. What i was trying to do but it wasnt thinking the same as me, was trying to basically wipe out anything under 50hz by setting it to -10 or more, but noticed it then tried to set 0-30hz back around zero creating a big old dip more than anything. I'm going to have a bit better play with it when i get back from a BBQ today. Cheers

Another thought -- Run a test tone (Source Audio - SA) starting around 30 Hz at moderate volume and increment it upwards until you start to hear the frequency SA with some authority then cut to -100db all frequencies below that one to save amp power.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
          Another thought -- Run a test tone (Source Audio - SA) starting around 30 Hz at moderate volume and increment it upwards until you start to hear the frequency SA with some authority then cut to -100db all frequencies below that one to save amp power.
          Ill source some test tones. I wondered about trying the PEq and just boosting from 100hz to compensate for the smaller enclosure

Comment

• Steve Lee
            Steve Lee commented
            Editing a comment
            Try this --> https://onlinetonegenerator.com/

• Steve Lee
            Steve Lee commented
            Editing a comment
            What you after is NOT boosting - you want to cut frequencies that are not desired in your mix.
            Boost NOTHING above the 0 db thresh-hold - then just turn the amp up.

Reckon I could put a cross over an cut anything below 80?

Comment

There are MANY ways to slice this apple - try them all so you learn . . . .

Comment

There are MANY ways to slice this apple - try them all so you learn . . . .
              Yeah i know, plus it comes down to the end users tastes as well....I was really interested in how to make the parametric EQ work, as i saw the settings in WiniSD under filters and gave it a go when modelling the driver.

I'm thinking more and more about this, maybe the best route is to try give the lower end a little assist and keep the rest relatively flat, just so i'm not doubling up with EQ settings when connected to various devices etc.
              Attached Files

Comment

Try WinISD's "Signal Gen." tab?

Comment

Parametric EQ --> https://www.masteringbox.com/parametric-eq/

Hope it helps . . .

Comment

I got interested in this general topic--how to get the most from small speakers--when I did this project: 7. Case study #1: a small subwoofer – Audiodevelopers Reborn. I've got a lot of additional information collected and will someday write an article dedicated to small-speaker optimization, but it won't be this month or next. We just sold our house and are still working a long to-do list that was negotiated in the sale. But once things settle down in our new place, I'd like to work on some new designs and articles for small speakers. Your idea of using the embedded DSP in the BT chip is a good one, and I will probably write some code for the QC300X in a future design. Wish I could help...maybe later.
                    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

• Steve Lee
                      Steve Lee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Most excellent data and document, Sir!

Thanks for adding your thoughts/contribution to the subject.

Interesting, when I was testing the lower end sounded decent, but the upper sounded like it was subject to a bit of cone break-up. I also took off all the EQ settings and it was there still.

Not sure if this could be contributing, but I've used a combined charging/buck converter, used cat5 cable to solder to the various bits or last I used the DC jack connectors for my driver for a quick release. Have I committed any cardinal sins here? Thought I would ask before I redo soldering or change out the buck converter which would suck as I'm saving space.

Let me know what you guys think

Comment

What does it sound like with no input signal and the amp turned all the way up?

Comment

What does it sound like with no input signal and the amp turned all the way up?
                        i'm going to merge this into the other thread..

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...-speaker-mkiii

Comment

Working...
                        X