RIP- Rick Craig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP- Rick Craig...

Chuck just texted me this a few minutes ago. Apparently he had a heart attack.

This is sad. Rick was one of the 3-4 people that were present at my first experience in hifi, about year 2000. I've told the story before a few times, but;
    We met in Ft Wayne down on HWY 24, IIRC. Rick was in town from NC visiting his folks in FW, who still resided here at that time. Jeff, Rick, myself and another fellow I don't remember met at Applebee's. 4th guy left after lunch. Rick's folks eventually moved to Indy where we also met once more about 2005.
    After lunch we went further into town to a HiFi shop which is now closed. I heard Jennifer Warnes played on B&W Nautilus 801, via a massive McIntosh tube amp. I was the inexperienced one here, and Jeff/Rick agreed that the treble was sssibilant, and that the bass was okay but didn't extend all that deeply for a 15" woofer. We all thought the mid was spectacular.

He was what I consider one of my mentors, and will be missed.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Very sad, indeed!

Jim

Comment

We greet another icon. Condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

The guy with all the beautiful custom speakers. The guy that designed a tribute to Jeff Bagby. Gone. Just like that.

Comment

Shelia (Rick's wife) texted me this morning from Rick's phone to let me know he passed suddenly from a heart attack. When I first saw the text, thought Rick might have just been touching base since we haven't spoke in a while. Was in disbelief at first and had to read the message again. To my knowledge, don't recall Rick ever talking of any kind of heart conditions. As I mentioned on Facebook, one of the best guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet and know, will miss our chats and visits. Learned a great deal from him and will forever be in his debt, wish there could have been more time to show that.

RIP Rick.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Oh, this is sad. Rick designed crossovers for a couple of my speakers (canTiLena and TuLines) quite a few years ago and the two of us went to an audio show in Detroit one time where he had a room with his speakers and my TuLines. More recently he designed the crossover for my Cornettas in exchange for me designing a TL for one of his customers. Really nice and low-key guy. I send my sympathies to Shelia.
            Paul

Comment

I am so sad to hear the news of Rick's passing. Prayers for his wife and family.

Comment

Very sad. I never met Rick. But his posts were always ones I'd stop to read. They always contained valuable knowledge. Condolences to his family.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

RIP- I never met Rick in person but he was a kind and helpful fellow when I bought a prototype bookshelf set from him a few decades ago.

Comment

I didn't know Rick well at all really, just knew of him from his work.

Hearing his mini desktop array in the hotel room at MWAF a few years ago -- the one that Kevin built the box for -- was a very cool experience though. He shared a few design tips there as well. Just a few speaker guys standing around chatting a bit, but man, you knew he really knew what he was talking about with the array concept.

I really admire you guys that are able to -- and take the time to really understand this stuff to a very high level of expertise; he was one of those guys for sure.
                    Another DIY Speaker Giant gone way too soon.

My condolences to Shelia and his family.
                    TomZ

Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Damn. That’s sad news. Rick was a kind guy who helped me out a couple of times. He will be missed.

Comment

He was actually in the middle of designing speakers for me. His son offered a solution immediately after only a single day had passed. I couldn't believe it. Those drivers are very expensive and important to me and I will be very grateful for his time and patience every time I listen to them when they're completed.

Comment

Unfortunately I never got to meet Rick but I always read his posts and appreciated his contributions. Loved the fact that he never name dropped or posted that somebody should build one of his designs. True character in my book.
                          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

My first contact with Rick was because of a common interest in line array design. We jointly designed an array and demo'ed the arrays at the Lima, Ohio event --perhaps the first MWAF event--in the first years of the 2000's.

Rick also hosted the first DIY speaker competition event at his home in North Carolina. Again early 2000's. Joint winners were Dennis Murphy and Jeff Bagby. We were impressed with Jeff's design in which he did not have to build a prototype to win but just submit a schematic which Rick cloned as Jeff's prototype.

Those were the days. We will miss Rick.

Comment

I remember the Linus from Dayton DIY 2002...

I also fondly recall Jeff telling me the xover challenge story...

Yes- Rick will be missed.

Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X