No announcement yet.

EPIQUE-E180HE-44 - New build help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder how the Dayton RST-28A would work with the Epique-E180HE-44??? Kinda sorta made for each other. Now the RS-28A should be a natural...if you got 'em.

Comment

Hi Chris,
      just wondering if the position of the L-pad SR and PR make any difference if they were first in the circuit such as in the pic below. Many thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 23.08.21.png
Views:	181
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	1475613

Comment

DO NOT place the Lpad (SR + PR) before the xover circuit. This places a load directly across the amplifier for the full bandwidth, and the resistors will get HOT, likely to cause a fire.

The xover is optimized for the load after it. While it is okay to place a series resistor prior the xover circuit, the parallel resistor MUST ALWAYS be placed after the xover to prevent the issue I stated above..

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          DO NOT place the Lpad (SR + PR) before the xover circuit. This places a load directly across the amplifier for the full bandwidth, and the resistors will get HOT, likely to cause a fire.

The xover is optimized for the load after it. While it is okay to place a series resistor prior the xover circuit, the parallel resistor MUST ALWAYS be placed after the xover to prevent the issue I stated above..

Later,
          Wolf
          Great thanks very much

Comment

Another aspect the front baffle -
            1. Is 18mm mdf thickness ok or not enough ?
            2. Placements of drivers and port - sort of done a sketch with different types. Any particular design that would work better ?

A1,A2,A3

Name:	Baffle design 1.png
Views:	159
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	1475627
            B1,B2,B3

Name:	Baffle design 2.png
Views:	156
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1475628

Comment

1. Someone will probably say it's enough...but I would personally go minimum of 24mm. I go 36mm when I can but you will need to chamfer the rear inside edge of the woofer cutout.
              2. A3. A1 is fine but just a little aesthetically strange. You can do something like A2 if the port is between say midrange and woofer in a 3 way. But in a two way due to high crossover point you want to keep these drivers as close together as practical.
              Last edited by DeZZar; 09-04-2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
                1. Someone will probably say it's enough...but I would personally go minium of 24mm. I go 36mm when I can but you will need to changer the rear inside edge of the woofer cutout.
                2. A3. A1 is fine but just a little aesthetically strange. You can do something like A2 if the port is between say midrange and woofer in a 3 way. But in a two way due to high crossover point you want to keep these drivers as close together as practical.
                Great thanks. What do you mean by "changer" the inside edge of the cutout.

Comment

• a4eaudio
                  a4eaudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Should have been "chamfer"

• DeZZar
                  DeZZar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, sorry that should have been chamfer. Wolf's example below is pretty fancy. I use a 45 degree flush trim router bit.

• Wolf
                  Wolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep- 45* chamfer is the norm. Sometimes drivers are not very open-framed, and a cove-bit is very handy at opening transition to these areas. When using 1.5" thick material, this is compounded, and more of a tunnel is present before relieving the material. In this case, I used a cove-bit between the mounts, and then a 45* chamfer bearing bit ran amongst the coved recesses to produce what I attached below. Each case is independent and unique, but some require more than one bit for best results.

Chamfer, scallop, relieve, all mean the same thing:

Name:	23uuhjkl007.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1475648

The goal is to remove material everywhere except the screw-mounts for the drivers.

Name:	23uuhjkl009.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1475649

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Chamfer, scallop, relieve, all mean the same thing:

Name:	23uuhjkl007.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1475648

The goal is to remove material everywhere except the screw-mounts for the drivers.

Name:	23uuhjkl009.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1475649

Later,
                  Wolf
                  Great thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X