No announcement yet.

Crossover Help Requested for Paul Carmody's Carrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meniscus assembled Continuum XOs. Tape to hide values, it's not a public design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	continuum xo.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	959.3 KB
ID:	1475378

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

Not sure if your post here was sarcasm,
      No sarcasm was intended, and I have no objection to their continued discussion, but must of it is over my head anyways

My hesitation with Meniscus assembly is that the components are packed very close together. Is this beneficial or potentially detrimental?

Comment

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        If you ask, I'm sure they would separate the woofer and tweeter XOs on two larger boards.

Originally posted by audiojerry View Post
      No sarcasm was intended, and I have no objection to their continued discussion, but must of it is over my head anyways

My hesitation with Meniscus assembly is that the components are packed very close together. Is this beneficial or potentially detrimental?
      If you're referring to the assemblies above, they look fine to me.
      Francis

Comment

RE: tightly packed XOs. Check out some of Wolf's XOs.

Comment

Yup. The only thing really affected by proximity (that can throw values off) are inductors Even those can get pretty close as long as some rules of thumb are followed re: their orientation. (Their magnetic fields can either add or subtract - depending.) Also, if resistors are "marginally" sized (w/respect to wattage) they CAN run pretty hot.

Comment

As stated, as long as the coils are oriented correctly to avoid crosstalk having components close together is perfectly fine. It's actually a goal of mine when I make xovers to pack them as tightly as possible just because I'm a smidge OCD and like things tight and tidy. Have no worries about Meniscus doing your xovers at all, they're definitely experts, very good at what they do. And they're all around great guys too.
            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

http://troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Comment

I appreciate the illustrative results and the effort put into it. From what I am gathering from members' contributions to this post, the safest thing for me would be to keep coils as far from each other and from capacitors as possible, and to properly alternate coil orientations from one coil to the next. Distance may not make an audible dfference, but it can't hurt (caveat being the the inductor and cap values are within their stated measured values).

Comment

If you need something like this, I would guess you'd need to construct it yourself. AFAIK, 99% of crossovers are compact and internally mounted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3W_Classic_Jan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	1475425

Comment

From what I am gathering from members' contributions to this post, the safest thing for me would be to keep coils as far from each other and from capacitors as possible, and to properly alternate coil orientations from one coil to the next.
                    No, if you look at the illustration in Troels link, the orientation of the coils is all that matters. You can glue a cap to a coil if you want. Resistors in series matter because they tend to get somewhat hot at times so I try to isolate those as well.

Something to consider, this is your speaker and you can do whatever you want. But in the end you have to be able to fit this assembled xover thru the woofer hole. Unless you intend to do an external xover or a removeable rear baffle, which comes with its own caveats.
                    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Here's Troel's Seas 3 way classic design. Troels did the coil placement page I linked. The speaker with the stand mounted XO I linked is this same 3 way classic.

Please scroll down and view Troel's recommended XO layout for this design. It is compact with thought given to coil placement. DIY allows for personal expression. If you think you're onto something, by all means go with it. Nothing worse than nagging doubts as to whether your completed project is as good as it could be.

I would bet you a large sum of money that Mr. Carmody's original Carrera XOs are compact and internally mounted with thought given to coil placement.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm

Comment

BTW, check out Troel's website. Lots of beautiful upmarket designs. You might find something you like better than the Carrera. Disclaimer, Troels receives sponsorship from speaker mfrs. Lots of beautiful woodwork.

His older designs can be duplicated. His newer designs do not include XO component values due to intellectual property theft.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Comment

XOs for a very small 2 way. The designer was nice enough to give a parts layout diagram.

Name:	XO 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	649.9 KB
ID:	1475433 Click image for larger version

Name:	XO 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	654.3 KB
ID:	1475434

Comment

Yikes - that's scary!!!

Comment

• djg
                              djg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good luck.

Here's an example of how I do my layouts - I laser cut some 3mm MDF into perf board as the base - but you don't need to obviously. You can just lay everything out and then mark the specific holes to drill.

Name:	IMG20201030225110_sml.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	1475445
                            Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
                            Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• LOUT
                              LOUT commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Everything lined up like that, it's really satisfying to look at. Kind of like a really organized parts drawer.
                          Working...
                          X