X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audiojerry
    replied
    Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
    Here's an example of how I do my layouts - I laser cut some 3mm MDF into perf board as the base - but you don't need to obviously. You can just lay everything out and then mark the specific holes to drill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20201030225110_sml.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	1475445
    That's more like it! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• LOUT
    commented on 's reply
    Everything lined up like that, it's really satisfying to look at. Kind of like a really organized parts drawer.

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    lol....is that a cap straight through the middle of an inductor?? I'd be curious as to what values those two measure at before and after orienting them like that...hahaha

• djg
    replied
    Another Quark XO I like (a lot).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quark XO.jpg Views:	5 Size:	258.0 KB ID:	1475453

It is kinda spooky.

Name:	metro 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1475457

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    For my Quarks, I just glued the components to the box. You could glue your components all over the inside and run wires.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quark XO2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	1475451

I was moved to some nearfield nostalgia, brought out the Quarks.

Name:	IMG_0001 (14).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	1475456

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Here's an example of how I do my layouts - I laser cut some 3mm MDF into perf board as the base - but you don't need to obviously. You can just lay everything out and then mark the specific holes to drill.

Name:	IMG20201030225110_sml.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	1475445

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Good luck.

• audiojerry
    replied
    Yikes - that's scary!!!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    XOs for a very small 2 way. The designer was nice enough to give a parts layout diagram.

Name:	XO 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	649.9 KB
ID:	1475433 Click image for larger version

Name:	XO 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	654.3 KB
ID:	1475434

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    BTW, check out Troel's website. Lots of beautiful upmarket designs. You might find something you like better than the Carrera. Disclaimer, Troels receives sponsorship from speaker mfrs. Lots of beautiful woodwork.

His older designs can be duplicated. His newer designs do not include XO component values due to intellectual property theft.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Here's Troel's Seas 3 way classic design. Troels did the coil placement page I linked. The speaker with the stand mounted XO I linked is this same 3 way classic.

Please scroll down and view Troel's recommended XO layout for this design. It is compact with thought given to coil placement. DIY allows for personal expression. If you think you're onto something, by all means go with it. Nothing worse than nagging doubts as to whether your completed project is as good as it could be.

I would bet you a large sum of money that Mr. Carmody's original Carrera XOs are compact and internally mounted with thought given to coil placement.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied
    Originally posted by audiojerry View Post
    From what I am gathering from members' contributions to this post, the safest thing for me would be to keep coils as far from each other and from capacitors as possible, and to properly alternate coil orientations from one coil to the next.
    No, if you look at the illustration in Troels link, the orientation of the coils is all that matters. You can glue a cap to a coil if you want. Resistors in series matter because they tend to get somewhat hot at times so I try to isolate those as well.

Something to consider, this is your speaker and you can do whatever you want. But in the end you have to be able to fit this assembled xover thru the woofer hole. Unless you intend to do an external xover or a removeable rear baffle, which comes with its own caveats.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    If you need something like this, I would guess you'd need to construct it yourself. AFAIK, 99% of crossovers are compact and internally mounted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3W_Classic_Jan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	1475425

Leave a comment:

• audiojerry
    replied
    I appreciate the illustrative results and the effort put into it. From what I am gathering from members' contributions to this post, the safest thing for me would be to keep coils as far from each other and from capacitors as possible, and to properly alternate coil orientations from one coil to the next. Distance may not make an audible dfference, but it can't hurt (caveat being the the inductor and cap values are within their stated measured values).

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    http://troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X