Passive summing circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive summing circuit

Reading conflicting information. It’s for a stand alone continuum center. Would appreciate any help. Thank you

Before or after the amplifier?

Pretty much the same circuit either way, series resistors from the load to each channel with drastically different values. For amp level you would need perhaps 4 ohm resistors to lose as little power as possible while protecting the amp from out of phase short circuit. You will lose a significant amount of power to the resistors, so they'd need to handle lots of heat.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

It depends on what you're summing, and why.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

My hope is to get it done between the amp and crossover. It’s a a center channel bagby continuum mtm

Comment

Trying to sum the signal from stereo to mono before it reaches the speaker

Comment

Is it possible to do this without having to buy a bridgable amp?

Comment

My advise is to just use the center channel output of the AVR, and if you don't have an AVR you don't need a center channel.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by cornajatwa View Post
                My hope is to get it done between the amp and crossover. It’s a a center channel bagby continuum mtm
                Not sure what you're trying to achieve. If you don't have a center channel output from your amplifier - then you don't have a center channel signal. Simply summing together your stereo output to send it to a center channel is....well....kind of pointless - you're just ruining your stereo image. You can't just create a center channel from a stereo mix - center channels, just like surround channels have their own dedicated audio tracks.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I need to do a better job of communicating the idea.

I had a 3 channel (left center right) bagby continuum setup in the living room and decided to switch to stereo by getting rid of the center channel speaker.

Now I have a very nice speaker without a purpose. I’d like to turn it into a portable radio.

One problem with that is sending a stereo signal to it. I don’t want to miss out on any part of the signal so I’d like to “sum to mono”.

If I can pull that off somehow I’ll be able to slap a full range plate amp (been sitting in the garage for years) on it and be good to go.

I have an amp and a speaker and the only thing keeping them from going to work is the stereo to mono signal problem.

Comment

Bump
                    is this possible guys?

Comment

Yes, before an amp this is an easy task. What's your signal source going to be?

For generic line level signals, you'd use a pair of resistors in series with the L and R outputs of about 1k ohm. Put a 10k ohm resistor after those to ground, the other side of which will be your mono output. The resistor values are pretty arbitrary and can have a wide range and still work fine.

Google "stereo to mono summing circuit", lots of schematic examples in there. Some omit the parallel resistor to ground, which would work fine too once connected to the amp input.

Here's one with some different values, but you should get the gist:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	E3Aob.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1475893
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Nice! Thank you! I was hoping to use a Bluetooth or, preferably, an AirPlay dingle 😬 is this still possible?

Comment

Originally posted by cornajatwa View Post
                          Nice! Thank you! I was hoping to use a Bluetooth or, preferably, an AirPlay dingle 😬 is this still possible?
                          Sure! Put that circuit between the dingle and the amp.
                          Wogg Music

Comment

thanks wogg. is there a passive way to do this as well?

Comment

Uh, that IS the passive way to do this.
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X