Potentially Pocketable DMA45 Stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially Pocketable DMA45 Stereo

I got an email warning of further back-order delays for the DMA45's as well as a shipping notice. Unsure which one was true, I was pleasantly surprised when they showed up a few days later.

The plan is to eventually squeeze each one into something with 0.17-0.25liters of space along with a ~11cm/4.3" or shorter port tuned to 100-130hz. With the extra-credit wish of crafting a way to connect the tiny cabinets and amplifier all together into a pocket portable bluetooth thingy while still keeping the ability to separate the speakers up to 6-8ft apart (still wired together).
    I'm also wondering how to physically protect the tiny speakers from getting poked and whatnot via some equally adorable speaker-grills or something.
    I'd really love to find something with thin walls and rounded edges/corners to keep them more easily pocketable.

Maybe a length of ~3" diameter PVC? That would let me slightly inset each speaker at opposite ends facing outward with a bit of something for grill/protection, then leave the back of each speaker similarly inset enough to leave room for the tiny amplifier, battery and 6-8ft of thin wire connecting the speakers. Could see if there's a convenient way to thread and twist the pair together, or add magnets or something?
    IF there isn't anything too inherently flawed about that, the tiny amp and wires might fit nicely into a smaller bit of PVC or round wood case that fits snuggly inside the inset back-ends of the little PVC speaker "boxes" to hold them. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe it's something I can actually build.

Are there any major problems to expect from having the stereo speakers facing opposite directions in the "single pipe" configuration?
    My first 2way build

Dollar Tree has 2.25" hollow wooden cubes for a buck. Forstner your driver hole, and mount it.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• LOUT
      LOUT commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds a little on the small side if I'm estimating the internal volume right (around 0.1-0.12liters), but the price and portability sound hard to match...should still let them reach 125hz-150hz with itty-bitty authority.

3d print something? I see that some of these PCB joints offer 3d printing services?

I've been wondering what I can use my dma45-4 and 8 ohm drivers, I bought 4 Iof each back November last year and tried one thing but was a little put off by pushing them a little too hard

Comment

• 3rutu5
      3rutu5 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a slippery slope lol, one day you are printing figures, then next minute a thousand beer can looking speakers haha

• LOUT
      LOUT commented
      Editing a comment
      I am tempted to try seeing what kinds of real-world "recycle-able" cans and bottles I might be able to slightly brace and hide speakers inside to try making up for my (and probably the other fellow's) lack of 3D-modeling ability.

• 3rutu5
      3rutu5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be posting soon either 2 or 3 version's of mine soon, just get bogged down in the detail and chasing perfection....

The speakers (like most/all) sound pretty weak out in the open air, and I really wanted to get an idea how they sound inside a ported box. This beauty is about 3x3x5 of some 1/8" MDF-like substance. They aren't separated and there's a single (larger-diameter) port and the box is larger and tuned a little low...so this is probably the deepest they'll ever play.
    It sounds surprisingly nice. There's some music where I recognize it isn't hitting low enough (even with some EQ help) but it's usually still good enough to be pleasant to listen to instead of bad enough where I end up focusing on the flaws.
    I'm hoping I don't have to give up a super noticeable amount of bass when moving into smaller containers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiny DMA45 speaker - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	709.1 KB ID:	1475795
    It looks like it's held together with boogers because I didn't want to wait for real glue to dry so I broke out the hotglue gun.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm using this little amp...
    https://www.parts-express.com/Stereo...y-Opt-320-6000
    My first 2way build

Comment

Nothing saying you couldn't combo mount the cubes vented into another larger chamber in DCR fashion.
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Rats. It looks like the little bluetooth amplifier I'm using has a pretty significant amount of signal delay. I didn't notice on music (of course), but after connecting it to the TV I realized I'm probably not going to use it for anything other than portable music because the audio lag against video is too noticeable.

I haven't noticed lag with the larger KAB230 model. This little one isn't a KAB (it's a DW-CT14+) but I don't think it offers any specialty features or anything fancy...so I was kind of assuming it would respond similarly fast.
        No huge loss. I suppose portability will improve if I'm saving space on the design instead of trying to JackOfAllTrades the little bugger into some transforming thingy. All-in-one means I can cheat a little by sharing an undivided box and a single port like I'm doing right now in the test cabinet..and I won't need any wasted space for connectors to pair the two halves together since it'll just be a single, portable unit.
        My first 2way build

Comment

A couple of slight hiccups; wasn't able to find any 2.5" cubes at the DollarTree (it looks like they've got several empty spots, so it might be sold out for now) and I just realized PVC is common for increments of 2" or smaller as well as 3" or larger but apparently 2.5" and anything else between 2-3" is simply not a thing. :/

Has anyone tried soaking/wetting card-stock or heavy paper with woodglue and forming it around a wooden cookie to make a tube? Wait for that to dry, then wet another piece and wrap it around again to add another layer for some thickness and strength. Kind of like the cheapo version of using wooden veneer and glue to create your own dainty plywood parts.
          Is that viable, or is it dumb?
          My first 2way build

Comment

Sounds like Paper Mache . . . So French . . .

Comment

Working...
            X