Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about this cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about this cabinet?

I ran across this on ALIExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000...88848002.pic_3

Specs:
    6.5 inch veneer empty box, about 17 liters
    Box size: (height 400 * width 220 * depth 330 (cm))
    Tweeter: inner hole (80mm) outer hole (104m)
    Woofer: inner hole 146mm outer hole 168-180mm
    Board thickness: MDF medium fiber board

Are there any driver xover combinations or kits that would work with this cabinet?
    $155 + 252.62 shipping to US. That's $815.24 for 2 cabinets - pricey, but something I could never reproduce.

Looks like a really nice vinyl pattern. It either is not real wood veneer, or the finish is just that good. I'm betting it's vinyl, and not really veneer.

Due to the facets, there aren't many DIY designs that have been designed with those in tow. however, I see quite a few other options on that site that might apply better.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've been to that site. They have an impressive selection.

The box you highlight is very nice. However, both the tweeter and woofer rebates seem very thin. IME, a typical speaker rebate would be wider than this box shows. I wonder if there is enough there to screw into. I suppose you could add wooden blocks to the inside diameter at the driver screw locations. It kind of depends on the particular drivers. I agree it looks like vinyl.

I wouldn't spend $800 for two of this box.

Here's a baffle for typical drivers (Seas) in the same size range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	baffle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	677.8 KB ID:	1476024

Edit: I think you might want to find a design you like and then look for a box with the correct driver cutouts instead of starting with the box. That's kind of what I thought when I visited this site. All the boxes I saw had driver cutouts. You are reduced to hunting for the right sized holes. The whole business model seemed odd to me.

Maybe they do custom work.

Comment

The “MDF” in the pic looks more like chip board to me. The baffle is too thick to not be opened up on the backside of the woofer hole. Don’t get me wrong they look nice but for that price I bet you could get someone on the forum to make you similar units with real veneer, quality mdf, properly made to any size you desire.

There are a few people on the board who are professional woodworkers or at least very talented hobbyists.

Comment

I’ve been looking around their site at the speaker boxes as well as some of their amps. Somehow they include the word “Fever” in the description of every piece of audio equipment. Am I missing something? Does “fever” have another meaning other than being hot and feeling like crap? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
          I’ve been looking around their site at the speaker boxes as well as some of their amps. Somehow they include the word “Fever” in the description of every piece of audio equipment. Am I missing something? Does “fever” have another meaning other than being hot and feeling like crap?
          There's only one place the human brain can go after that;
          Click image for larger version  Name:	fever.png Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	1476044
          My first 2way build

Comment

• fpitas
            fpitas commented
            Editing a comment
            We're going to need more cowbell.

Originally posted by audiojerry View Post
          I ran across this on ALIExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000...88848002.pic_3

Specs:
          6.5 inch veneer empty box, about 17 liters
          Box size: (height 400 * width 220 * depth 330 (cm))
          Tweeter: inner hole (80mm) outer hole (104m)
          Woofer: inner hole 146mm outer hole 168-180mm
          Board thickness: MDF medium fiber board

Are there any driver xover combinations or kits that would work with this cabinet?
          $155 + 252.62 shipping to US. That's $815.24 for 2 cabinets - pricey, but something I could never reproduce.

These cabinets are so cool 😍so the price 😐

Comment

Let's see...if you find drivers that fit the holes and rebates perfectly,
            chamfer the rear of the woofer hole,
            measure the drivers in the box,
            and are good enough to make a pair of fairly random drivers work well together,
            you'll have a pair of pretty speakers,
            whose size, range, and output may suit you.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
              chamfer the rear of the woofer hole,
              Good luck with that. I've tried to find a "reverse rebate flush trim" router bit in the past - don't think it exists?

Comment

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                Forum member JavadS had some made.

• Wolf
                Wolf commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, and they rock!!

Somebody here did make a cabinet very similar to that.
              Francis

Comment

My silverflute peerless speaker was very similar. You can easily go in afterwards with a rasp bit on a drill and manually create a champher. I have done that once before, and it worked great. It is not as pretty and takes more time, but works just as well. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our overseer mattp did a very nice build thread on a very similar cabinet.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...roject-teasers

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
                    Good luck with that. I've tried to find a "reverse rebate flush trim" router bit in the past - don't think it exists?
                    You are looking for round-under, reverse-chamfer, or solid-composite router bits. Freud has them for solid-composite material working for kitchen sinks and such. MLCS had a 1/2" round under in 0.25" shaft, but I think it's discontinued, and it's dangerous. The Magnate reverse chamfers Javad had made are 0.5" shaft, and wicked.

Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      You are looking for round-under, reverse-chamfer, or solid-composite router bits
                      this is about all I can find commercially available: https://www.carbitool.com.au/product...AaAjbrEALw_wcB

Bearings just in the wrong place. I guess if you're game you could use the shaft as the stop bearing lol

Comment

That's the least of the problems, twenty minutes with a rasp or hoof file would do both woofer holes.

I forgot to mention having to buy from a vendor who will let you return drivers if they do not match the spec'd size.

Why we don't make holes till we have drivers in hand.

Comment

Working...
                        X