X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
    Crossover parts arrived today!Laying them out on some blank PCB perf boards. Smallish boards - large crossover - so I'll use a few of these
    I know you make good use of the 3D printer. If I had one, I'd make crossover boards like these...https://www.css-audio.com/crossover-boards

Leave a comment:

• randyohoh
    commented on 's reply
    If I remember correctly the op stated that the xover was at 1800 or 1850 hz and the woofer cone breakup occurs at 4500 hz according to the published specs. The op could easily be prejudiced as it appears to be his design.

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
    I watched a recent video on youtube by GR-Research...
    I saw that one too and thought it was kind of funny that it showed up just as I'm wrapping up this design.

I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to hear those but I would be very curious to compare.

I did notice in the off-axis response the same 2-3khz flare appears to have gone unaddressed in the design so I wonder if they will sound bright. The woofers I measured had pretty strong breakup which was hard to satisfactorily suppress with just a second order filter. Maybe they found a way.

I just wish that at the same time as he quotes "some of the best cabinets in the industry" and turns the box to the side, you didn't see the seams of the box construction through the veneer!!!

Otherwise neat looking speaker. If anyone has the opportunity to listen to these I'd love to know what you think of them!

Leave a comment:

• randyohoh
    replied
    I watched a recent video on youtube by GR-Research https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YckmpzQX37U and the op was asked what pair of speakers could be purchased that wouldn't need immediate upgrades to be acceptable to him. He noted a new design from Tyler Acoustics which used SB Acoustics drivers which appear to be the same as used in this project. Tyler did tune the cabinet with a SB passive radiator and the op spoke about the woofer only requiring one cap and one inductor and a 3rd order on the tweeter along with a slight addition to modify the phase and shape the response. The drivers appear to be SB17NRX2C35-5, SB29SCAC-C000-4, & SB16PFCR-00. The op seems to have contributed to the design and to have a relationship with Tyler Acoustics but if he is honest in his review you seem to have selected a great set of drivers for this project. The op shows measurements which are great and the pair sells for $2400.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Crossover parts arrived today!

Laying them out on some blank PCB perf boards. Smallish boards - large crossover - so I'll use a few of these.

Tweeter layout...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG20211016162055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	498.8 KB ID:	1477527

Woofer layout...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG20211016174739.jpg Views:	0 Size:	559.3 KB ID:	1477529

And the final set...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG20211016204757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	524.1 KB ID:	1477530

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Originally posted by DeZZar View Post

Yeah curious as to how others might have implemented this before. I can imagine a dial type selector to switch between several resistors (or resistor combos) on the tweeter - but what about baffle step? You would sort of need several different crossovers to select between?

The owner of these will play music from his computer so its probably just easier in this case to add a little EQ.

Thank you :D
    Another thanks for documenting this build, much appreciated.

As for baffle step selection, may be worth having a look at Jim Holtz / Curt Campbell's Statement Monitor as this has a Near/Far wall crossover and a scheme to switch between the two.

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Mo...bleNetwork.PNG

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/St...Monitor_2.html

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by tktran View Post
    In passive crossovers adjustable baffle step, as well as tweeter level is very helpful in getting it dialled in for the room/placement.
    Yeah curious as to how others might have implemented this before. I can imagine a dial type selector to switch between several resistors (or resistor combos) on the tweeter - but what about baffle step? You would sort of need several different crossovers to select between?

The owner of these will play music from his computer so its probably just easier in this case to add a little EQ.

Originally posted by davidroberts View Post
    Very nice documentation for a very nice finished product. Take a now sir, you have earned it.
    Thank you :D

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    Very nice documentation for a very nice finished product. Take a now sir, you have earned it.

Leave a comment:

• tktran
    replied
    In passive crossovers adjustable baffle step, as well as tweeter level is very helpful in getting it dialled in for the room/placement.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Thanks all for the comments and feedback. I'm happy to share the process and my learnings and I'm really glad its valued.

I'll update again once final crossover parts arrive and I button these things up for delivery :D

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    I hear you - problem is that "final" location is a bit of a challenge. They'll start out in his garage/barber studio which is the same as my garage - but this is a rented place and there is no real finality to where they will live. I'm going to try and make it so the lpad can be easily accessed just in case we need to further refine the tweeter level.

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    To add to others' comments, this is a great build log: you've given us the genesis of the project, rationale for driver and cabinet selection, measurements, testing, listening and working through the crossover, plus of course they look great. Costs were a good inclusion, too.

Apart from that, I learned a lot from your thread and peoples' input, such as the need to include a resistor when using the small 'tank' cap on the woofer inductor.

Thanks again

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• dkalsi
    replied
    DeZZar - thank you again for taking the time to document your build. I agree with a4eaudio's comment above - there is now a shortage of such threads.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Total balance can change a lot, just by changing the room they are in, or the location in the room! I suggest trying them in the final location before finalizing the xo.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    I just want to see that blue tape gone.
    Not a fan of the painters tape? :P....just holding off gluing the port in until the terminals at the back are bolted in!

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I think most people wouldn't see the value in "homemade" speakers. Your level of finish might overcome that attitude.
    Thank you, that's very kind feedback.

I think you are right though - the perception around "home made" is that they will look home made ("handy man", "DIY'). If I change the language to "hand made, bespoke, custom, artisan" it tends to conjure up a different perception. The sort of difference between offering something made "in a small workshop" vs "in my garage".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X