Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    I have to say the 3D printer is just about the most valuable tool in the shop! I started a thread a little while ago to share all the things I've been able to use my for - its an Ender 3 as well - great value printer!

Here's that thread - I also added a little cost breakdown for anyone that's wondering:
    https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...-for-workshops

• uncola
    replied
    Wow great build process pics, DeZZar. are you going to design your own crossover too? I saw there's an open source waveguide for scanspeak tweeters on diyaudio people are 3d printing too. these ones https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...ml#post5862360 https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-printing.html

Leave a comment:

• danmarx
    replied
    That reminds me back in college when my roommate came home one day all excited he'd picked up a pair of 'sweet speakers' from a guy selling them out of, you guessed it, a white van. It was a shame he paid actual money for those speakers and they were as bad as you could imagine. The woofer and mid had those car-style metal grill covers over them, the tweeter was one of those piezo horns and it was covered in your standard gray car sub carpet. The port was like 3" in diameter but only 2" deep too, so figure a 12" woofer in a pretty big box (made of 1/2" particle board) was probably tuned to around 100 Hz. Needless to say, I wasn't as nice as you and didn't build him a real pair of speakers. I love that you 3D printed a port extension to fit around the window bracing. My son just got an Ender 3 printer and I've been wanting to 3D print something in the realm of speaker building. A custom port seems like the perfect thing. Anyway, build looks good, keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    I suspect these beauties are going up against a wall due to the front firing ports?

(Splendid looking work as usual, BTW).

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    commented on 's reply
    More like “only fools and horses” sketch called Trigger’s Broom…….Had this broom for 20 years and still going strong, only had four new handles and three new heads!

• DeZZar
    replied
    Got onto the veneering today. Slicing up some left over Tasmanian Blackwood veneer. I really love this veneer and I'm glad to see the left over pieces go to a good home.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210918125648.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	1476226

Back and sides done - just need to finish the tops tomorrow morning and then finally onto the baffles.

Name:	IMG20210918190611.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	1476222 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210918190633.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	1476225

Name:	IMG20210918190733.jpg
Views:	1301
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	1476224

Custom port elbow all done to. Test fitting here with the precision port flare.

Name:	IMG20210918190410.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	1476223

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    hahahaha....I love Fawlty Towers!

• Geoff Millar
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds like something out of Fawlty Towers: "need new baffle, new drivers, new cabinet - otherwise OK!"

• DeZZar
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Nice work. I thought at first you were going to reuse the Akai cabs.
    I was originally thinking that but considering they needed a new baffle, braces added, rear panel re-done, were made from 9mm chipboard and one of the corners needed repair etc....it was seriously just easier to spend 15min on the table saw slicing up some new panel.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Nice work. I thought at first you were going to reuse the Akai cabs.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    You did all that in two days?! Amazing work, well done.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    The compound port elbow about 75% of the way through printing...

Name:	IMG20210918001323.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	648.6 KB
ID:	1476188

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    That's a very good question. In this case my neighbor is also my barber so we're sort of doing a deal/exchange and on top of that he'll have these playing where he does barbering so there is also a sort of a 'tell everyone who asks where you got them' thing.

Normally I would just charge parts plus labor. This would be maybe a two day build. I would absolutely love to quit my job and do this full time but I'm not sure how practical that might ever be. Maybe one day!

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah - any excuse will do! :P

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Damn how much do you charge for your work Dezzar?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X