Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the ' PM180-8 ' a ' PS180-8 ' without the whizzer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hitsware2
    replied
    Sound similar ..... Is it cymbals or ' whizzer tizz ' ? Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXECT-20211004130751.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1477003

Leave a comment:

• jbruner
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PS180-8 and PM180-8.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1476747

The PS180-8 has the same motor, frame and surround as the PM180-8. The cones are very similar, but the current PS180-8 has a curvilinear cone profile, whereas the PM180-8 that I have has a straight cone. Both have the same "vent" hole in the pole, but the PS is filled with a phase plug, and the PM's hole is blocked in the rear by a sticker. Above is a DATS sweep, PM is green line, PS-180 in blue.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    From memory, the PS have a higher concentration of Kevlar fibers than the PM series do. The method the PM drivers came about, was a PS series driver that had the central pole piece and whizzer removed, and then a vented dustcap applied. It was found that the performance was not hampered by their removal. I think the cone formula was changed for FR changes for the better. I was told this by someone in the know about 10 years ago, so it COULD be a little fuzzy in terms of accuracy.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    They appear to have the same frame, very similar cone, same suspension, same magnet, and same voice coil based on specs and visuals.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Nope- they are very different.
    The PS has phase plugs and no vented pole
    The PM has a vented pole and no phase plug.

They are very different drivers.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    If they're not siblings then they're cousins.

Leave a comment:

• Is the ' PM180-8 ' a ' PS180-8 ' without the whizzer ?

?
Working...
X