Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet
    commented on 's reply
    EQ certainly, extra baffle step is required. Xmax depends on many factors including room size, musical preferences, and SPL requirements.

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Billet View Post
    Open baffles have made some fine sounding bass in my listening room.
    Given EQ and gobs of Xmax, sure.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    Open baffles have made some fine sounding bass in my listening room.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Since you don't intend for the OBs to produce bass, which is good because they won't, you should use eights or tens in the OBs, which would have far superior midrange dispersion compared to fifteens.

Leave a comment:

• MisterD
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Well no matter how much someone likes it, it can't make deep bass in an open baffle. If you doubt that, give it a try
    Planning on doing exactly that, but also with some bass augmentation from an additional pair of 15’s in ported 4.25 cubic foot cabinets. Those are built in the ends of a ‘60s Barzilay console. Lii F-15’s and and the ported cabinets will bi-amped, with SE tubes for the full-rangers.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterD View Post

Ha; no problem, dude.

Before anyone is quick to judge though, there are some good reviews of the Lii F-15’s and the newer F-18’s as well. If you’re at all curious, dude, you could take a gander at glowinthedarkaudio or even decware - or the diyaudio full-range forum, dude.
    Well no matter how much someone likes it, it can't make deep bass in an open baffle. If you doubt that, give it a try

Leave a comment:

• MisterD
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Sorry, dude. The laws of physics are the laws of physics.
    Ha; no problem, dude.

Before anyone is quick to judge though, there are some good reviews of the Lii F-15’s and the newer F-18’s as well. If you’re at all curious, dude, you could take a gander at glowinthedarkaudio or even decware - or the diyaudio full-range forum, dude.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterD View Post

The Lii F-15 are 399 a pair, not 600. From the above posts, I’d guess none of you know anything about them.
    Sorry I asked here - carry on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E4E3193-B07B-4F6D-BE5F-EDD5199BA46A.jpeg
Views:	445
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	1476935

BTW - the above picture is a Lii F-15 in the large decware baffle.
    Sorry, dude. The laws of physics are the laws of physics.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    I wouldn't consider it without seeing off-axis charts.Also, the suspension and Mms suggest a short xmax. Even a fifteen won't do much below 100Hz in a OB when it doesn't have a very long xmax.

Leave a comment:

• MisterD
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
    I'm just playing around - not interested in anything that expensive - I'll shut up now . . .
    The Lii F-15 are 399 a pair, not 600. From the above posts, I’d guess none of you know anything about them.
    Sorry I asked here - carry on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E4E3193-B07B-4F6D-BE5F-EDD5199BA46A.jpeg
Views:	445
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	1476935

BTW - the above picture is a Lii F-15 in the large decware baffle.

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    You could try the "Full Range" forum over at diyaudio.com. Dedicated to full range drivers.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
    I'm just playing around - not interested in anything that expensive - I'll shut up now . . .
    Lots of well-regarded full rangers are expensive. It's not an easy design to do right. But I think if I was doing it I'd use a TL enclosure to minimize the Xmax.

At very low levels in the absence of deep bass this one might do OK on an open baffle. But once you add in the substantial EQ required for even vaguely flat response, deep bass will probably exceed its Xmax limit.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Are you just looking for background music with these?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    This will sound good upon them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfQTY_K-_o

"Chinese Music under the Banyon Trees" . . .

Gadds! (Steve Gadd) isn't going to be happy with the reproduction of his solo . . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X