Calibrated mic source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrated mic source

Where can I source an individually calibrated XLR mic these days?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Cross Spectrum is a no-go?
    Francis

Comment

I have one from them. But the cal file has a ripple in it that is not correct so I've never used it. Perhaps they've updated their method since then though and this artifact is no longer there?
      ~Brandon 8O
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
        I have one from them. But the cal file has a ripple in it that is not correct so I've never used it. Perhaps they've updated their method since then though and this artifact is no longer there?
        Interesting. Did you contact them? To my knowledge they're very professional. Of course, that was years ago, things change.
        Francis

Comment

Yeah I should contact them. Still would like another current source, Kim Girardin doesn't appear to be doing this work anymore.
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

I bought a 1/4" mic from Neutrik more than 20 years ago when they were under $300,
            not sure of the price these days: https://www.nti-audio.com/en/product...nt-microphones

Comment

Thanks Pete. Do those come with calibration files?
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

Earthworks M23 microphones come with calibration files. They're a little bit pricier microphone, but IMO, they are top quality microphones too and extremely stable over time.

Comment

Plenty of options out there, here's a few :

Sonarworks SoundID
                  Audix TM1 Plus
                  Various Earthworks models
                  Neumann MA 1
                  Audiomatica Mic-01,02,03

I've switched to a mic without calibration file, the Line Audio OM1. The OM1 is passively calibrated so it simply measures flat as-is without needing a compensation curve. It's not advertised as a measurement mic, but I found it to be within 1dB of my Omnimic. Very happy with it.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Thanks I'll look into those. So are calibration files a standard format so they are easily imported into software? I've only ever had them dome by 3rd parties.
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

Yeah, the mic calibration files are in the standard .frd format, usually with no (or zero) phase component. The ones I have seen (Dayton and from Cross Spectrum Labs) are the actual mic response - the measuring program subtracts the cal file from the measured FR response. The only possible catch is if you deal with Impulse Response files. In that case the mic cal file (and soundard cal file if you have one) aren't factored in.
                      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

I have used mics calibrated by Dayton and by Cross Spectrum. The Dayton calibration has a significant rise in the call data at high frequencies. I continued to tweak my crossover designs for flat response only to find the listening experience to be dull and flat. I ordered the same mic from cross spectrum. The data looked similar up to about 8kHz but significantly different (about 6db) up to 18kHz. Changing the crossover using the Cross Spectrum mic yielded much better sounding results. That was about 10 years ago.

Comment

I didn't include the Dayton EMM-6 in my list above specifically because the calibration provided from Dayton is a mess. Unfortunately it appears that Dayton doesn't know how to use their calibration equipment to provide something that isn't just noise. If you want the cheapest "calibrated" mic, go for Sonarworks.

What you get with the fancier models is some sense of guarantee of accuracy as they often include detailed specifications of accuracy, sensitivity, etc. A mic that says "calibrated" with no other specs may be calibrated to be within +/- 10dB of some unknown reference for all you know. The more expensive units like Earthworks use better condenser capsules that will last longer without drifting and requiring re-calibration.
                          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                            Thanks I'll look into those. So are calibration files a standard format so they are easily imported into software? I've only ever had them dome by 3rd parties.
                            You can expect standard plain text format useful for most any software. The only real problem is SoundEasy, where 0db = 90dB so you will have to process the data for SE's wacky format, but you will have to do that with any calibration for SE.

Comment

I was all for a cross spectrum EMM6 but they don't do em anymore so I just bit the bullet and got a UMik1 last month. I dunno if I will regret it, but having a properly calibrated mic was most important.

Was also gonna consider Sonarworks REF20 (or whatever it's called... Looks like the Dayton) but wasn't sure if it would be any better than a stock Dayton.

Do the XLR mics that cost a fair deal ($200+) have properly calibrated corrections or is it generic?

Comment

Working...
                              X