X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pick
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jul 2006

RSS315HE-22 First Impression

A while back, I was working on a design with the Ultimax 12. I recently noticed the new High-Excursion Reference drivers. I am now looking at the RSS315HE-22. This is the first Dayton driver I have seen that compares favorably to my old TC Sounds drivers. I’m kicking around some ideas.

I will be using a Pioneer SC-LX801. I will likely drive the sub with a Behringer NX6000 with a mini DSP 2x4 to provide high-pass filtering and EQ. The frequency response plot below shows performance in a 3.3 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 22Hz. This plot also includes a LR4 high-pass filter at 16Hz to control cone movement below the port frequency. It also includes the LR4 low-pass crossover that will be set in the receiver. I do this to see the performance as it will be, including the entire system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1477122

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1477121

The plot below shows cone excursion at 1500W. It looks like cone travel is well controlled at high power levels.

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1477120

The plot below shows port air velocity at 1500W. I know it’s much higher than some people prefer, but it’s still below 34m/s accepted in many successful designs. Also, I don’t expect this thing will see 1500W most of the time.
    The length of the port is a little long, and the resonance is close to the harmonic of the crossover frequency. What I typically see is I have to shorten the port after the build to get the performance predicted by WinISD. I expect the actual build will end up with a slightly shorter port with higher resonance and higher air velocity.

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1477117

Based on initial modeling, I think I like this driver. Has anyone used one of these?

Attached Files
  • Wolf
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

2x 2" ports??? on a 12" sub??? How about 2x 4" ports to be better suited. I do not see subs with 34m/s mach as being acceptable.
    I bet these are PR, sealed, and/or assisted.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• pick
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Wolf
      2x 2" ports??? on a 12" sub??? How about 2x 4" ports to be better suited. I do not see subs with 34m/s mach as being acceptable.
      I bet these are PR, sealed, and/or assisted.
      Wolf
      Dude, what are you looking at. There are two ports and they are 2" x 6.625." Lots of designers go up to 30m/s (or above) and get good results as long as it's not at normal listening levels. The plot shown is at 1500W, 24mm excursion, and 115dB SPL. This design will almost never see these conditions. At 110dB SPL, the air velocity is only 17m/s. People here who say they don't go above 10m/s are full of BS and are certainly getting port resonance problems and/or building subs the size of an outhouse. The design needs to be practical and implementable.

Comment

• Wolf
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Sep 2005

I thought you had 2" diameter ports. I must have missed something.
        Agreed, 17m/s at 110dB is fine.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...