Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old or new?

Hi all,

Perhaps a unusual request for advice as the two alternatives are not very easily compared, but here it comes:

I am looking for a “new” power-amp to match my NAD 116 pre.
    Today I am using my vintage Citation 12. Sounds OK but I would like to upgrade. I have two options:

1. A NAD 216 used unit in the same series as the pre. Closing in on 30 years with the normal recap coming up. A “old-school beast” with a expected total price tag of about 4000 Swedish crowns =400 USD

2. A brand new NAD C268 unit with a list price in Sweden of close to 1000 USD. Class D, good measurements:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.14287/

and a 3-year warranty.

Now, what do you think that I should do? Go for the new unit or the oldish and prepare for some soldering-time?

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

I'd go with the old school NAD 216 and just recap it.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I’d choose the 216.

I have owned two 2400thx and a 2600a. Good, warm, solid, old school high current sound. Currently I am using a hypex-based amp (like the c268 is) and it is just not the same. It is not as dark as the old school NADs but doesn’t pack the same punch either. I do like it however when the bottom end is biamped with a high current class ab amp (running a 2ch JBL Synthesis for this).

I think coming from an old school HK the c268 will be more transparent but you will be overall wanting more drive.

Comment

+1 for the old school.

Comment

Hi,

OK thanks for the feedback.

I will follow your advice and aim for the NAD.

By the way, do you Think that a similar unit, like the H/K870, would be just as good?

Regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

I’m not familiar with the 870 but in a very brief search it seems to be built on the same concept of the NAD units back in the day - gobs of current and big power reserve.

Comment

One thing to consider. There are lots of obsolete parts in an amp that old. If a transistor goes, you have a boat anchor. With a new amp you don't have to worry.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                One thing to consider. There are lots of obsolete parts in an amp that old. If a transistor goes, you have a boat anchor. With a new amp you don't have to worry.
                Hi,
                Yes you make a very valid point, I think.

I bring up the H/K 870 because that is an example of me being a not so very lucky "recapper". I tend to get it right in the end but my 870 has up until today refused to go out of protection after my recap.

Perhaps I will be better off buying a new amp and hopefully never dig into it.

(I have recapped a number of other amps successfully, though....)

Regards//lasse

Comment

I noticed that your NAD 116 preamplifier includes balanced XLR output ports, so I would suggest locating monoblock amplifiers adjacent to the loudspeakers, use short loudspeaker cables and balanced interconnection to the preamplifier.

I would suggest buying two Audiophonics MPA-M400ET monoblock amplifiers, each of which uses one Purifi 1ET400A module (1x 400W into 4 Ohms, 200W into 8 Ohms), one Hypex SMPS600N400 power supply module, one Audiophonic interface module, etc. The input module accomodates a balanced XLR differential input or an RCA single ended input (switch selectable), has internal selectable gain settings including a selectable bypass, and a 12V trigger. It is assembled in France with power supply configured for 230VAC, but they can configure it for other voltages. Unlike some other competing products, these have a ventilated case. Although the class D amplifier and switch mode power supply are efficient, those still do produce some heat, and a ventilated case is useful in cooling.

Audiophonics currently have those priced at 749,00 €, tax included, each, plus shipping from France, direct sales. Note that as I write this, their website states that have only one monoblock remaining in inventory, and you will have to wait a few weeks for them to restock their inventory.

You can configure a small component box with a switch, a 12VDC input port, and several 12VDC output ports, in combination with a 12VDC wall wart or dongle power supply, to control on/off power to the monoblock amplifiers and any subwoofer amplifiers (if those likewise have 12VDC triggers).
                  "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

• JRT
                    JRT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And if you choose to DIY your own monoblock amplifier assembly, the Neurochrome buffer might be worthwhile.
                Working...
                X