Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• norman bates
    replied
    Inside morel solstice, 22g solid core copper hookup wire, red or black color.

otherwise, junky 18g stranded wire for amp to speakers (i should seperate and twist it together someday).
    i have 18g solid core magnet wire to use as speaker wire (when i unwrap and twist it, may never happen).

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    commented on 's reply
    In the very first or second issue of Speaker Builder Magazine was a thorough scientific-technical article about Loudspeaker cables/wire. Read it if you can.

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    Sure, but that extra thick insulation protected it from the horrible effects of bad dielectrics like rugs or plastic items. Luckily, these days we have cable supports ;)

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    Antique (37 year-old at least) 10 or 12 gauge Monster Cable
    That Monster may be 14 or even 16 gauge. They were outed long ago for using thick insulation that gave the appearance of a larger gauge wire than actual. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    OH! The horror!

People actually using fat/thick cable!!

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied
    Antique (37 year-old at least) 10 or 12 gauge Monster Cable on close-out from Home Despot when I moved into my house! It's clear with trace to the mains. K-mart's finest 16 gauge brown extension cord war(sic) to the Dolby speakers 'cause it was the cheapest war(sic) I could buy in 16 foot lengths. An' Big Lot's green 14 gauge three conductor war(sic) in 25 foot cords to the bedroom 'cuz it was the cheapest war(sic) I could buy! I didn't even peel the jacket off the three conductor. Is there a market for extension cord plugs and recepts??? They've got pigtails!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    commented on 's reply
    I agree that Red is a good color for this.

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Red is positive.

• Steve Lee
    replied
    ^

It depends upon which one you see as more positive than the other.

Then somebody is raciss

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Nobody uses white/black? Sounds an easy way to be a rebel

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Other, kind of. 14ga direct burial Southwire from Menards. Red and black jacket but covered by a yellow outer jacket.

Leave a comment:

• LOUT
    replied
    I'm using clear w/polarity marking because I'm both hip and progressive...and because it's what they had at whatever store I was at when I remembered I'd ran out of scrap wire at home to harvest.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    In their (partial) defense, Monster actually used to put an RF termination on the speaker end of their wires. They probably quit doing that since it's not snake-oily enough.

• billfitzmaurice
    commented on 's reply
    Probably Monster or Kimber or something similar that's near and dear to the Ghost of P.T. Barnum.

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Zip cord. It works as well as anything, better than high priced exotics that have high inductance and capacitance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X